Options

<BR> Tag no longer works in drop down Menu :^(..

guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited October 14, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
So up until today the BR tag worked in the drop down menu so I could have the Japanese translation under the English. Unfortunately that little trick no longer appears to work now all text is on one line with the BR tag showing as text between the two.

Is there another way I can recreate what I had - ie. English on Top Japanese underneath in a drop down menu.

Thanks.

i-9FdvvBB-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    Totally pissed me off when they said html is not allowed when it only came in affect at about 4:30pm CDST today.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=241837
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    If you could somehow inject newline characters into those link titles, adding this CSS to your site theme would allow you to have a newline appearing:
    .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a {
        white-space: pre-wrap;
    }

However, injecting those newlines is a little easier said than done... if you want to obtain the rank of super-hacker, maybe you can follow this process along:

Be using Linux or Mac OS X, and the Chrome web browser. It's possible to do this on Windows, but it's a bunch more work to get the right tools installed.

Start by adding that CSS above to your theme and publish.

In Chrome, Customise your site, and open the settings for your menu block. In Chrome's menu, click View -> Developer ->Developer Tools. In the pane that appears, switch to the Network tab. Click on SmugMug's "Done" button to save the settings for the menu. These two entries will appear in the network tab:

9XK7ave.png

Right click on the first of those two entries, and choose "copy as cURL". Paste it into some text editor. In the text editor, find all instances of "%3CBR%3E" (that's an encoded version of your <br> tag) and replace with "%5Cn" (that's an encoded version of "\n", which means newline).

Now copy the entire command, open up a terminal window (in Mac or Linux), paste it in, and execute. In response, it should print out some code that begins with '{"stat":"ok"'. Back over on SmugMug in the customiser, refresh the page. If the menu now looks correct (with newlines appearing), click on Done, then Publish Now. Otherwise click Done, and Discard Changes to undo your edit.

After completing this process, your super-hacker certificate should arrive in the mail in 5 - 10 working days! And this is what the finished result looks like on the page:

x8vcyk1.png

P.S. don't paste the cURL command in a post here, since it basically contains your account credentials.
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    If you could somehow inject newline characters into those link titles, adding this CSS to your site theme would allow you to have a newline appearing:
    .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a {
        white-space: pre-wrap;
    }

However, injecting those newlines is a little easier said than done... if you want to obtain the rank of super-hacker, maybe you can follow this process along:

Be using Linux or Mac OS X, and the Chrome web browser. It's possible to do this on Windows, but it's a bunch more work to get the right tools installed.

Start by adding that CSS above to your theme and publish.

In Chrome, Customise your site, and open the settings for your menu block. In Chrome's menu, click View -> Developer ->Developer Tools. In the pane that appears, switch to the Network tab. Click on SmugMug's "Done" button to save the settings for the menu. These two entries will appear in the network tab:

9XK7ave.png

Right click on the first of those two entries, and choose "copy as cURL". Paste it into some text editor. In the text editor, find all instances of "%3CBR%3E" (that's an encoded version of your <br> tag) and replace with "%5Cn" (that's an encoded version of "\n", which means newline).

Now copy the entire command, open up a terminal window (in Mac or Linux), paste it in, and execute. In response, it should print out some code that begins with '{"stat":"ok"'. Back over on SmugMug in the customiser, refresh the page. If the menu now looks correct (with newlines appearing), click on Done, then Publish Now. Otherwise click Done, and Discard Changes to undo your edit.

After completing this process, your super-hacker certificate should arrive in the mail in 5 - 10 working days! And this is what the finished result looks like on the page:

x8vcyk1.png

P.S. don't paste the cURL command in a post here, since it basically contains your account credentials.

Hey Lamah,

Thanks for taking the time to answer this! I don't think i have the skills necessary to do this but maybe after reading it another 10 or 20 times I may pluck up enough courage to try!

Cheers..

Still pissed that SM changed the rules on me.
  • Options
    tobemetobeme Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
    In old smug I also have my navbar translated into a second language and put it as a second line. But now I have to give it up.