Originals with pasword?

MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited January 8, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Is there any way to make a gallery public, but allow people with a password to see the original size images? I can't seem to see how to do it (of course I was up until 4 AM last night getting a really great shot) but I might just be missing something.

If there isn't a way to do it, I would like to suggest it as a future improvement. I am currently on a trip with some friends, and I want to share the gallery with everyone, but I want my friends to be able to get the full sized images.

--Aaron

PS Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am rushing out the door and didn't have time to fully search the archives.

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Two copies in two galleries
    MrBook2 wrote:
    Is there any way to make a gallery public, but allow people with a password to see the original size images? I can't seem to see how to do it (of course I was up until 4 AM last night getting a really great shot) but I might just be missing something.

If there isn't a way to do it, I would like to suggest it as a future improvement. I am currently on a trip with some friends, and I want to share the gallery with everyone, but I want my friends to be able to get the full sized images.

--Aaron

PS Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am rushing out the door and didn't have time to fully search the archives.
    Upload the images into two different galleries. Disable originals on one. Enable originals on the second, but put a password on it. Give the first URL out broadly. Give the second URL and it's password to your friends.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    Upload the images into two different galleries. Disable originals on one. Enable originals on the second, but put a password on it. Give the first URL out broadly. Give the second URL and it's password to your friends.
    You could even link to the original from the image's caption. That'd be one way to do sell downloads manually. Sell the password rather than the image, give the person a random password and either tell them to notify you when they have successfully downloaded the image or give them a time limit before you change the password to something else.

EDIT: apparently guests can get to the originals so sell guest passwords so maybe 2 galleries wouldn't be required. Don't guests have unlimited access to the galleries though?

Just thinking out loud ... uh ... in type.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    jfriend wrote:

Sure that works but uses up twice the disk space :(

We offer this capability to pro accounts, with the guest-password feature.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Protected Access to Originals
    Andy wrote:
    That's why it's been suggested many times (including yours truly) to implement links support.
    The workflow can be as follows:
    1) SM allows user generate random name for the image (e.g. original image name + guid)
    2) SM stores that link in image databaase and links it to the image in question
    3) From any other standpoint this link is treated as if it were a regular image

Having an image level password would make this feature perfect, but the implementation implications could be huge, so I'm not even asking for it:):

I understand that this would require some work, the description above is only 30,000 ft view. But it seems to be a relatively easy way to provide a much needed feature without sacrificing valuable HDD space.

As of now, the only working way is to use "duplicate" functionality, which, unfortunately, eats space.ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Andy wrote:

:( I was hoping to not have to spend quite that much. I was thinking about it offline and thought I might go to power user if it would work, but pro is a little beyond my means right now. I don't really sell prints, just share them.

--Aaron

edited December 15, 2005
    Andy wrote:

To use Andy's suggestion, all of the following must be true:

1. You must have a pro account.
    2. You must be comfortable granting all guest privileges to your friends including upload.
    3. You must only have one set of people you want to do this with and be willing to grant guest privileges to all your galleries.

Otherwise, until Smugmug offers other solutions, your best option is the double uploads. I've had to use the same double upload solution because Smugmug doesn't support keywords in password protected galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Double - yes, uploads - no
    jfriend wrote:
    Otherwise, until Smugmug offers other solutions, your best option is the double uploads.
    You can duplicate the image, thus avoiding upload process. *Much* faster!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

This may be what I have to do. Right now I have them in private password protected galleries, with originals turned on. I suppose I could just leave them that way for a week or two and just let my friends look at them. After that I could disable originals and make them public.

I could do the copy thing, but it is going to be over 3 GB of photos (three week trip to Chile) and I hate to do that to Smugmug's server.

--Aaron

edited December 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Good point .
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • PiEpPiEp Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 8, 2007
    Same question
    Andy wrote:

I am sorry to bring this back up, but the guest-password option is not the solution. I have the same situation, but setting a password locks everyone out, except people with a password.

I want to make my gallery available to everyone and have only a selected few use a password to download originals. Is that possible without creating extra galleries for the same photos?
    edited January 8, 2007
    PiEp wrote:
    I am sorry to bring this back up, but the guest-password option is not the solution. I have the same situation, but setting a password locks everyone out, except people with a password.
    I think you are confusing Site Passwords with Guest Passwords.
    I want to make my gallery available to everyone and have only a selected few use a password to download originals. Is that possible without creating extra galleries for the same photos?

Yes, with a Pro Guest password, sure.
    edited January 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I think you are confusing Site Passwords with Guest Passwords.

Thanks for the quick reply. I found the Guest Password function, set a password, but I am not quite there yet. I would like to enable some of my friends to download the original photos for free, but I don't want to enable viewing the Larges or Originals, because then everyone would see them. Because of people using PrtScrn, I have also added the right-mouse-button protection. Can I still have people download the L and/or O versions?
    edited January 8, 2007
    PiEp wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I found the Guest Password function, set a password, but I am not quite there yet. I would like to enable some of my friends to download the original photos for free, but I don't want to enable viewing the Larges or Originals, because then everyone would see them. Because of people using PrtScrn, I have also added the right-mouse-button protection. Can I still have people download the L and/or O versions?
    They'd have to change the settings, the same way you would. Wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    MrBook2 wrote:
    :( I was hoping to not have to spend quite that much. I was thinking about it offline and thought I might go to power user if it would work, but pro is a little beyond my means right now. I don't really sell prints, just share them.

Aaron,

I feel your pain. There are one or two features from the "Pro" level that I really want and would benefit from, but I just can't justify so much extra money for them since making money off my photos isn't one of them.

I just have to keep reminding myself that no matter what features smugmug reserved for its highest-paying customers, there would be some that I wanted and couldn't afford. They have to do the best they can to put features in different price categories, otherwise all of us would be paying the pro rate and getting lots of features we don't need/want.

I can imagine this is a difficult issue for Smugmug - giving people the features they want/need within the correct price category.
    edited January 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    They'd have to change the settings, the same way you would. Wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't.

OK Andy, not the reply I was hoping for, but thanks anyway for making things clear. And keep up the good work! I am loving my SmugMug Pro account and the new beta looks VERY promising.