DEPENDABLE flashes with external battery connections..

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited October 21, 2013 in Accessories
High School Basketball season is quickly approaching and I've really added a lot to my equipment for flash, but not quite enough. I need more...

My goal is this. 4 flashes on each side of the court that I am shooting from, with 4 PW3's. Each flash will be set to it's own group and be cycled vial the multi-cycler of a Multimax transmitter.

My Problem right now is flashes. I need more.

While YN-560III look appealing, it seems Youngnou QC isn't too hot as a lot of people report the flashes failing within 2-3 months.

My requirements are simple. Equivalent power of a Canon 580EX (not the II), Manual adjustments of power and the BIG one is EXTERNAL POWER PACK connection. There are a ton of aftermarket flashes out there but a lot do not have the external pack connection. Which is why the YN-560III looked so appealing, but as I mentioned, the reviews are less than favorable.

The YN-560III is roughly $70. I would love to find something in the $150 range. I'm willing to pay more to get something that consistently works!

Not sure if it's an option, I used to own until it was stolen a 550EX. Not sure if it acts like the 540EZ where if set to 1/4 power it needs to fully charge after every dump even though it's not dumping full power. The other option is the 580EX..

Are there any other flashes I should be considering? I looked at the Nissin, they don't seem to have an external power connection... which is key. I'll be using 4 flashes on each side of the court in in 4 groups to get fast shooting speeds via the multimax and cycler option.

Thanks.

Jim

Comments

• photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2013
    hey Jim, I've used and reviewed a number of third party flashes. Nissin can be a good option. Phottix has recently joined the game and seems to be a good choice. looking at your requirements, Nissin Di700 should be able to do it for you. it's around $250 though, but it does have an external port and the power you need. It's super easy to control with the select dial. It's a faily new model, but it's one of my personal favorites now :)
    nissin-di700-flash-display.jpg

Nissin Di866 II and Phottix Mitros are the higher-end units, but have everything you'd want. Here is a direct comparison:
    Nissin Di866 II vs. Phottix Mitros
    phottix-mitros-vs-nissin-di866-ii-controls.jpg

Used Canon flashes, as you mentioned, should be a good option, too.

Hope this helps.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    I also found that SB-24, 25, 26, etc from Nikon are super cheap... Might end up going that route for $75 each.

I just have to see how they work in a multiple flash fire situation shooting say 1/8 power at 6-8fps. The Canon 540EZ are horrible and need to completely cycle even if set to 1/8 which makes no sense to me. Hoping the older Nikons don't do that.
    edited October 21, 2013
    so you need manual flashes then? no need for TTL?
    edited October 21, 2013
    correct. Manual. And battery packs (lithium) I am using only support: Canon, Nikon, Metz & Sony connectors for the flash..
    edited October 21, 2013
    i see. have you considered LumoPro? their new LP180 has a high-volgate port and a built-in light stand mount(!!)
    i've got LP180 and an older LP160. both are powerhouses and very dependable.
    edited October 21, 2013
    Well, currently looking at lower cost options.. Old Nikon flashes can be had for $75.. SB-28's and if not them, SB80DX which are 2x the price but still $50 less than the LP180, especially when I am looking to get 4-5 of them.

As I posted in my other thread I'm not sure about the SB-28 cycle time when set in 1/8 -1/4 power on manual. Some old flashes dump and have to fully recharge, a good example would be the Canon 540EZ. Where as other flashes can sustain 8 flashes with the flash set at 1/8 power, like the 550EX from canon which I think was the next flash out after the 540EZ. Problem is Canon flashes are going for 2x the price of an equivalent Nikon. While I'm a canon shooter, light is light, I don't care if it's canon, nikon, etc.

YN-560III was something I was looking at but it seems to have the same 2-3 month lifetime as the version I and II that preceded it. You get what you pay for in a new CHEAP flash. And the 285HV from vivtar even with an external pack (and a connection that AFAIK is not supported by the pack, unless it uses a metz type connection) is still slow to recycle at 1/4 power and is completely missing a 1/8 power setting which really kills the deal.

I can deal with a flash that does 1/1, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16.. I don't need +/.3 stops like all the new lights do. It's just a matter of speed with the lithium pack attached....