Options

Sigma 70-200/2.8 DG

kbroderickkbroderick Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited October 18, 2013 in House of Canon
Sigma 70-200/2.8 DG HSM
20130907_MG_2714.jpg

This is Sigma's answer to the classic 70-200/2.8 zoom, and in my testing against a friend's Canon 70-200/2.8L, it holds its own on image quality and focus speed. It's the DG model, but it's not the current "macro" model. Includes all original accessories—tripod foot, soft case, box, hood, documentation, and front and rear lens caps, but is in rough cosmetic condition—I shoot outdoors more than indoors. On and off, I've worked photography into my job description, so my gear gets plenty of miles. Some of the paint has peeled off; I was covering a golf tournament when a mild rain storm turned into a deluge, and the finish started peeling. It hasn't gotten noticeably worse since that incident, but it's not particularly pretty, either. Also, the front element group is mounted approximately 45 degrees off; it had come apart (screws fell out), and I had a local camera shop repair it. It functions fine—this happened quite a while ago—except that the hood mounts at a funny angle. There's also some tape residue on the hood, which I think was from taping the rig together while the screws were loose. AF works fine, as does full-time manual focus.

The only reason I'm not still using this lens as my workhorse is that I've upgraded to the Canon 70-200/2.8L IS II, which does have faster AF, image stabilization, and perhaps better overall image quality...but damn well ought to for four times the cash.

Looking for $500 plus shipping from Waitsfield, Vermont.