Options

Integrate SmugRoom Tools into New SM

beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
edited December 27, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Integrated http://smugroom.com/tools/ functionality would be a useful addition to NewSM. It has an excellent Gallery Link generator which includes Album IDs and Keys, and quite a few folk have found it a lot better than SM's current Gallery Link thing in Share > Get a Link.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=241965 refers.

If it can't be integrated, how about providing a link to the SmugRoom Tools site in, say, the Share menu?
Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!

Comments

• Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    A few others have requested the ability to create "permalinks" in other threads as well, and this is something that's on our radar for the future. There is also a way to find this info without using a third-party tool, or even looking at the page source code. If you go to any gallery, click Share > Get a Link. If you have the shopping cart enabled, go to the Gallery Links section and copy the Buy link from here. Then, simply replace /buy/ in the URL with /gallery/ and that will give you a permalink to that gallery. The album ID and Key will also be listed in the Feed URLs in the feeds section of the Get a Link screen. In other words, this is the format for a gallery permalink:

http://[nickname].smugmug.com/gallery/[albumID]_[albumKey]

I hope this helps!
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    rnrjosh wrote: »
    A few others have requested the ability to create "permalinks" in other threads as well, and this is something that's on our radar for the future. There is also a way to find this info without using a third-party tool, or even looking at the page source code. If you go to any gallery, click Share > Get a Link. If you have the shopping cart enabled, go to the Gallery Links section and copy the Buy link from here. Then, simply replace /buy/ in the URL with /gallery/ and that will give you a permalink to that gallery. The album ID and Key will also be listed in the Feed URLs in the feeds section of the Get a Link screen. In other words, this is the format for a gallery permalink:

[URL]http://[/URL][nickname].smugmug.com/gallery/[albumID]_[albumKey]

I hope this helps!

Josh, thanks for the reply.

Did you read the thread that I linked to? Folk there have found the SmugRoom tool easier than the faff that you describe, hence my posting this feature request. Anything that needs copy/cut/paste is prone to user-error, and is hardly user-friendly. That said, if permalinks had been up and running before release, we wouldn't be discussing the matter now.

Probably best to just get it sorted to reduce your radar-clutter, eh?
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013

I hope this helps!

Josh, the workaround you described is what I've been using since I migrated to New SM, and it's a very poor solution. I posted this in another thread, but here are the steps:

1. Click on a photo
    2. Select Get a Link
    3. Copy the gallery ID from the Buy link
    4. Return to Gallery
    5. Paste the link to the end of the gallery URL
    6. Copy the new longer URL
    7. Paste in blog (or shorten in smu.gs and then paste).

So basically, a 2 step process (copy link from URL block, paste in blog) has gone to 7 steps. Steps, by the way, that only an expert will know to do. A friend or user wishing to share a gallery will use the "get a link" feature as is, and end up with a link that may well become a dead end.

Since learning of the SmugRoom Tools solution, I am back to three steps.
    1. Click on the SmugRoom Tools window (kept open in my browser)
    2. Copy the permalink URL
    3. Paste

If you integrated it (or gave us the option of having the ID show in the browser window), it would be back to two steps. And would be intuitive for guests and less-experienced users, as the old get a link was.

I've said this in other posts, but I am convinced that the only reason y'all are not getting absolutely hammered on this issue is that most users are not aware of how every reorganization they do will break any links that have been shared or published.

The new organization capabilities are truly awesome and most welcomed. But they're creating unintended perils for any customers who integrate SM into a website. Google really penalizes website that have broken links by lowering their search visibility, and I think SmugMug needs to reinstate the previous feature in order to protect users' hard-won SEO positions.

Hope that makes it a little clearer why this feature is so important.
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013

I hope this helps!

Sorry but it boggles my mind that a Smugmug Support Hero would give this answer as an acceptable solution to this problem!

It's obvious that a Gallery permanent Link would be something of high value to your users & was something we had in legacy SM. To suggest that this solution is an acceptable alternative is a joke..

What is so hard about giving us a permalink option from a single click just like we used to have. Jeez!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited December 24, 2013
    I think the share... get a link... page should include an option to get a permalink - I now need to be careful about moving galleries since I've not jumped through the extra steps to get a permalink when I post photos in my blog - I guess I'd better change my habits to take the extra steps.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2013
    I think the share... get a link... page should include an option to get a permalink - I now need to be careful about moving galleries since I've not jumped through the extra steps to get a permalink when I post photos in my blog - I guess I'd better change my habits to take the extra steps.

--- Denise

That is a great idea. I like it!