Options

Why my unlisted gallery looks empty?

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited October 23, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,
my following unlisted gallery

http://alexpal.smugmug.com/ToShare/Kal/n-f53n3

(got the link through the get a link screen)

looks empty! I was wondering if someone of the admins can log in and see what might be the problem.
I have shared the link with the password to my friends and they have reported me that the gallery is empty

Regards
Alex

Comments

• Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Hi I am still looking for a solution. I have to guess that the images that were taken from a private gallery to an unlisted one, they have inherited their private attributes and thus do not appear to other users.

Just a guess
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited October 20, 2013
    When you say the images were taken from a private gallery do you mean that they were referenced (collected) from that gallery as opposed to being uploaded again? If that's the case the images will not be viewable by anyone but you. Private = accessible by the logged on user only.

From the help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229910-new-smugmug-what-are-the-gallery-level-privacy-settings-
    Private Galleries/Pages/Folders are TOTALLY private. They can ONLY be accessed by the logged in owner of the site. There is not a way to share a Private gallery.
    That also means that the contents of private galleries/pages/folders are private.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    they were "collected" through the collect tool to a new library that has unlisted permissions. I have one private gallery that is for uploading my sources and then one unlisted where I dumb what it can be shared.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    alaios wrote: »
    they were "collected" through the collect tool to a new library that has unlisted permissions. I have one private gallery that is for uploading my sources and then one unlisted where I dumb what it can be shared.
    If they were collected from a private gallery then the collected images are private too.
    Did you upload the photos to your unlisted gallery? Or did you collect them from the private gallery?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Option B. I collect them from a private gallery.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Option B. I collect them from a private gallery.
    If you collect them from a private gallery then the photos are private and are not available for viewing by anyone but you.
    It would be a violation of the privacy setting to allow sharing with others.

If you want to share them the photos must be placed in or collected from either a public or an unlisted gallery.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Why in this world (sorry nothing personal here) should I know that? Collecting or not each image should have the rights of the folder it resides

A
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 20, 2013
    Sorry for the confusion. Photos do retain settings from the original gallery. Photos from Private galleries are for your eyes only so they will not be shown in collected or smart galleries. If you make the source gallery unlisted, it should show.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    True but still if my gallery is unlisted below a private will not. If I collect photos from a private to an unlisted they will not again show up. If I then change the initial gallery from private to unlisted the collected images to the unlisted will not show up again.
    At least this is what I have tried. Why should I know this stuff?

A
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    True but still if my gallery is unlisted below a private will not.
    I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Photos in a gallery that is private can only be seen by you.
    If you collect photos and you want other people to see them the gallery you are collecting from cannot be private. It can be either unlisted or public.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    I'm not the expert on the system, but just to check - did you drag the Navigation/
    and then folders/galleries/pages, onto your main site?
    I think you need to do this in order for images to show inside the galleries.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2013
    I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Photos in a gallery that is private can only be seen by you.
    If you collect photos and you want other people to see them the gallery you are collecting from cannot be private. It can be either unlisted or public.

--- Denise
    That is okay now but it had to be more well explained. Why not just assume that an image has the right under the gallery it resides?

Smart galleries will also not return the private images I guess. The way it works now it looks like that one shot once is private and it gets the "BaD" tag thus making it very hard to be shared any more

A
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2013
    That is okay now but it had to be more well explained. Why not just assume that an image has the right under the gallery it resides?
    That would be a violation of the privacy setting.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    Hi,
    I do not think it helps to keep the same game... If I understand it right, and if I am not wrong this is not somewhere documented, once I upload something as private, the "private" attribute remains even if the picture is then moved to a public or unlisted gallery. Right?