Options

Some Really Righteous Rides

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 22, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
I've neglected my autos for far too long. Forgive me while I indulge myself.

1. This is a 1929 Dupont G. This is one of only 11 like this that were built. It's one of only 3 that were built with a rear-mounted spare tire. It's one of only two that had a built-in rumble seat. In other words, it's a pretty rare car....and it's certainly pleasing to the eye.

Amelia%202013%20209-X3.jpg

2. I'm really intrigued by the headlights on the Dupont car. Try and find a pair of these at your local auto parts store.

Amelia%202013%20200-X2.jpg

3. This car is a 1926 Kissel 875 Speedster. The Kissel Company was formed in 1906. Their cars were noted for being superbly constructed, with exemplary attention to detail, and quite stylish as well. The Hollywood elite and other well-to-do folks really took to them. Among the owners were people such as Amelia Earhart and the screen star Mary Pickford. The growing depression and fierce competition in the market place spelled the company's doom....they closed their doors in 1930.

Amelia%202013%20211-X3.jpg

4. This extraordinary car is a 1931 Alfa Romeo 6C/1750 Zagato/Aprile Spider Corsa. After an accident in 1937, the then current owner ( who was a coachbuilder himself ) had the car re-bodied. The car was hidden during WWII and pretty much disappeared for the following 6 decades. It was located in 2008 and acquired by one of Italy's top car collectors. It underwent an exhaustive 2 year restoration that took it back to its original configuration. You see it as it was upon delivery in 1931.

Amelia%202013%20222-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20228-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    Those are beautiful, Tom! Thanks for sharing these!
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2013
    moose135 wrote: »
    Those are beautiful, Tom! Thanks for sharing these!

Thanks, John. I've got to admit that I'm lusting after that black Dupont G. That car, in the flesh, was simply stunning. It's a part of the famous Mann collection.

See ya,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited October 21, 2013
    That Dupont is beyond beautiful. The body is flawless and being black, you'd likely see even the smallest imperfection. The Alfa is a gorgeous car as well but almost 'ordinary' by comparison.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    That Dupont is beyond beautiful. The body is flawless and being black, you'd likely see even the smallest imperfection. The Alfa is a gorgeous car as well but almost 'ordinary' by comparison.

Hi Ian, it's sure great to hear from you.

I've been blessed over the years to have had exposure to examples of most of the finest cars ever produced. Rarely, though, have I seen a car so utterly spectacular as that Dupont. Typical to cars from the Mann collection, it is absolutely flawless. Truly breathtaking.

Tom
  • Options
    KennySKennyS Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    Wow just wow. This is a collection that would even have Jeremy Clarkson's jaw dropped.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    OK, Tom, I have never heard of it before, but that Dupont is amazing! I could make a place for it in my garage--and I would even let you drive it here to me. :D Glad to see you posting car pics again. It is always fun for me to look and learn!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2013
    KennyS wrote: »
    Wow just wow. This is a collection that would even have Jeremy Clarkson's jaw dropped.

Thanks for the visit, Kenny. I go to a lot of car shows but this venue ( Amelia Island Concours ) is my favorite.

Tom
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2013
    redleash wrote: »
    OK, Tom, I have never heard of it before, but that Dupont is amazing! I could make a place for it in my garage--and I would even let you drive it here to me. :D Glad to see you posting car pics again. It is always fun for me to look and learn!

Lauren

Thanks, Lauren. Yes, I've been a little slack on the car front. I'll fix that, though. Got lots of interesting stuff to show you guys.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    Bout time you started sharing more of you signature stuff!

Thanks for a glimpse into history with your fine images and great back stories of these magnificent autos thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Bout time you started sharing more of you signature stuff!

Thanks for a glimpse into history with your fine images and great back stories of these magnificent autos thumb.gif

Yo pard,

Well, I was going to throw up a few flowers for you guys until I realized that I might be stepping on your toes....being as you are the OFFICIAL flower shooter. One has to be very cognizant of the forum hierarchy in these matters.deal.gif I certainly don't want to intrude where I'm not wanted.:lol4

I trust you're doing well, buddy. I know your camera gear is working so how's bout you throw some stuff our way.... been way too long since we had such treats from you.

Tom