Options

Copy text into text block

steperenkosteperenko Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited October 21, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I am creating a custom page. I added the photo, added text box and then tried copying text inot it from a word document. Nothing is visible. What am I missing? I really do not feel like retyping the whole "about me" page.
Thank you!
K.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    The word document probably has all kinds of illegal code. I'd try pasting into a pure text editor like
    notepad then copy from there to paste on page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    Be aware that the "text block" has very limited formatting capabilities.
    I now use "HTML blocks" instead of text blocks as you can format as you want.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    steperenkosteperenko Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    I had to write it. tried mac's text edit, same thing. Thank you Allen, you are always so quick to help! I really appreciate it. AceCo55, thak you. I am a newbie and still don't really know how to use html, maybe one day. I was writing and build along until the page I was creating stopped responding (cannot drag anything anywhere) so glitchy, the text semi disappears while typing, so frustrating... I guess I will have to come back to it later. Any ideas on why I cannot drag and drop my content blocks on a page?
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    Having spent some time in the text box the last couple of days, formatting can be a real pain. I've had instances where I tried to change the font size and things wouldn't change. I also noticed that when copying text from notepad with paragraphs, it would seem that the paragraphs would get lost. It's sad the the text box has so many issues with it. Notepad is better editor...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    I think if you edit in notepad or any text editor and will paste into a text box use the "enter" key to space out paragraphs.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    I've worked with text boxes as well. Editing can be quick with certain rules followed:

- font size does not show until you click into the box
    - If I make one paragraph one font size, and another, another size, then it's not possible to then highlight all and revert to only one size. Each paragraph needs to be re-highlighted and changed individually.
    - If I copy in 2 paragraphs, I need to delete the 2 returns between them, and re-type them in, otherwise they don't show in SM.
    - adding hyperlinks is totally cool and easy

Otherwise I've had an easy time working with them in this context.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I've worked with text boxes as well. Editing can be quick with certain rules followed:

- font size does not show until you click into the box
    - If I make one paragraph one font size, and another, another size, then it's not possible to then highlight all and revert to only one size. Each paragraph needs to be re-highlighted and changed individually.
    - If I copy in 2 paragraphs, I need to delete the 2 returns between them, and re-type them in, otherwise they don't show in SM.
    - adding hyperlinks is totally cool and easy

Otherwise I've had an easy time working with them in this context.
    Agreed. Once you figure out the quirks, you can work around them. Took me awhile to figure out the font thing though...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook