(5) system error in script

jobelenusjobelenus Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
Hey Guys,

I have a client for whom I am writing an import script using the 1.3 API. I've been testing the script out on my test plan. It seems to hum along just fine, and then chokes on "(5) system error" which is returned from the "smugmug.albums.create" method.

I cannot tell why this error is happening, and smugmug support hasn't been able to help me. They directed me here. I can imagine two scenarious:
  1. I am being rate-limited
  2. My free plan has reached some kind of limit

For #1 I am going to have a problem when I run this for my client as it won't entire work for them. For #2 I am only going to have a problem testing everything, but I think I can find ways around it, such as several batches starting from an empty test account. If you're able to help me, much thanks!

Comments

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    Is your login session still good? I've seen this error pop up on bad logins.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • jobelenusjobelenus Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2013
    I haven't seen any documentation on when a "login session" ends. Can you point me to one? What is a good way, in code, to test whether a previously logged in connection is still "logged in" (e.g. I'm not logging out in this script.) This is being done over the API in code, not in a browser with cookies/sessions.
    edited November 18, 2013
    jobelenus wrote: »
    I haven't seen any documentation on when a "login session" ends. Can you point me to one? What is a good way, in code, to test whether a previously logged in connection is still "logged in" (e.g. I'm not logging out in this script.) This is being done over the API in code, not in a browser with cookies/sessions.
    I haven't either. :(

Just test to make sure you can login without any issues before executing the method.
  • jobelenusjobelenus Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2013
    Yes, in my original description I shared that this only happens after a good number of albums have already been created. So I've certainly logged in over the API already.
    edited November 18, 2013
    jobelenus wrote: »
    Yes, in my original description I shared that this only happens after a good number of albums have already been created. So I've certainly logged in over the API already.
    Sorry I missed that. This sounds really remnicent of a problem another user was having with what appeared to be rate-limiting. I'll see if I can find that thread and see if there was a solution.
    edited November 18, 2013
    Here's a thread where someone describes what seems to be the exact same problem, but no solution:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=227380
  • nzsnappernzsnapper Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    One possibility is that the gallery you are trying to create starts with a lower case letter (or the nicename does). Trying to create a gallery starting with a lowercase letter results in the error you are reporting, and yes I think that it is a strange restriction.