Options

When Arriving In Style Was Everything

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 22, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
You can't talk about the truly great cars over the years without talking about Duesenbergs. I've discussed the history of these fantastic automobiles several times before. Suffice it to say now that these works of art are generally considered to be the pinnacle achievement of style, engineering, and quality construction in the automotive world. Nothing said you have reached the top any more succinctly than driving up in your Duesenberg.

This car is a 1930 Duesenberg LeBaron Barrelside. LeBaron Carrossiers, Inc. ( a custom coachbuilder ) built many open bodies for the Duesenberg J chassis. The basic dual-cowl LeBaron was the most prolific of all the open four-door Duesenberg J phaetons. Far more unusual, and rare, was this " barrelside " body, so-called because the body rolls inward in a pronounced fashion. The rear doors open at the " B " pillar and the beltline has a distinctive parallelogram molding that gives the car uncommon grace. " Barrelsides " were built on both the long and short frame chassis, but no more than 5 are believed to have been constructed.

This car is powered by a 420 cu. in. dual-overhead cam, inline 8-cylinder engine featuring a Schebler dual-throat, updraft carburetor, producing 265 horsepower coupled to a 3 speed manual gearbox. Other features include 4-wheel hydraulic drum brakes, live-axel suspension with semi-elliptical leaf springs and double-acting hydraulic-lever shock absorbers.

Feast your eyes on this extremely rare and valuable Duesenberg.

Amelia%202013%20151-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20156-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 22, 2013
    Awesome machine (and well shot, of course thumb.gif) but I have to wonder about the color. Weren't they mostly black or white back in the day? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    Awesome machine (and well shot, of course thumb.gif) but I have to wonder about the color. Weren't they mostly black or white back in the day? headscratch.gif

Thanks for the visit, Richard.

Actually, the humdrum black and ( to a much lesser extent ) white were relegated to cars for the masses. The more expensive cars for the wealthy could challenge a peacock for coloration. If you could see a bunch of these high-end cars in one spot, as I frequently do, you'd see what I mean. You'll see the occasional black or white in the top echelon but, for the most part, color rules the day.....some of the colors are quite garish by anyone's standard. I think the moneyed crowd liked to strut their status.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 22, 2013
    If I had one of those, I'd paint it black. Guess that shows where I come from. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    If I had one of those, I'd paint it black. Guess that shows where I come from. lol3.gif

Not necessarily so, Richard. Take a gander at that black Dupont roadster in my other current post. That's about as beautiful a car as there is. That paint was so deep that you felt like you could dive into it.

Tom
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    Great car! It's like the green hornet 1920's style.