Options

Manual Sorting not reflecting after save

LaFlacaDLaFlacaD Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited November 1, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I have searched a bit but am overwhelmed with all the posts. What I'm looking for is simple. I manually configure the order I want my gallery to look like under a folder. All is well in my organizer. I hit done and when I view it online, nothing is in order. What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    One more step...
    In the customize mode, go to that block's settings and in the display tab, select "organizer position" for "sort by".
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    We need a warning in Organizer that out on the pages/folders/galleries the "Organizer Position" has to be set if
    you sort in Organizer. Otherwise they will override the Organizer sort.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    I'm either dumb or stupid or just tired but I can't find how it is to get to galleries setting to change that option. Can you instruct me as if you were instructing a first time computer user. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    LaFlacaD wrote: »
    I'm either dumb or stupid or just tired but I can't find how it is to get to galleries setting to change that option. Can you instruct me as if you were instructing a first time computer user. Sorry.
    In the galleries it looks like you have to sort by "position". Then the gallery should except the Organizer sort.
    Customize > gallery settings > Appearance
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    It's official. I'm just stupid.

On my site - logged in. My only choices are Upload, Organize or Customize. If I hit Customize, my choices are Customize Site, Folder Settings or Choose New Site design.

I don't see where the Customize > gallery settings > Appearance option is.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    It's official. I'm just stupid.

On my site - logged in. My only choices are Upload, Organize or Customize. If I hit Customize, my choices are Customize Site, Folder Settings or Choose New Site design.

I don't see where the Customize > gallery settings > Appearance option is.
    Drop Under Customize
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    This is the option I get.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    This is the option I get.
    Then whatever sort you use in Organizer should work with "position" set.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    Problem is it doesn't. *sigh*
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    Are you talking about the order of photos within a gallery, or the order of galleries within a folder?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    einat wrote: »
    Are you talking about the order of photos within a gallery, or the order of galleries within a folder?

Order of galleries within a folder.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    Then set the folder sort as shown in post#2 so it won't override the Organizer sort.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013

The screen shot in your post is from the gallery's settings. It shows that indeed you manually sorted the photos in the organizer, for a certain gallery.

You have also sorted the galleries in the relevant folder (no screen shot of this).

But the next thing you have to do is in the customizer.
    On the folders' page, where you have a galleries' block (that is, a page for a folder where you have the galleries displayed) click the wrench of that block and in the display tab, choose "organizer position" as the "sort by". I added a screen shot in my previous post.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013
    but the next thing you have to do is in the customizer.
    On the folders' page, where you have a galleries' block (that is, a page for a folder where you have the galleries displayed) click the wrench of that block and in the display tab, choose "organizer position" as the "sort by". I added a screen shot in my previous post.

ooohhhhh

thank you thank you thank you!
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    The screen shot in your post is from the gallery's settings. It shows that indeed you manually sorted the photos in the organizer, for a certain gallery.

You have also sorted the galleries in the relevant folder (no screen shot of this).

But the next thing you have to do is in the customizer.

OK so I'm having the same problem with the galleries not showing in the order that is in the organizer, on my folders page.

When I try to locate the settings you're referring to all I get is the attached - there is no option to choose "organizer position!!?? ne_nau.gif

And no matter if I choose ascending or descending the order still doesn't change headscratch.gif

Help please !
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Select "position" for Sort Direction. I think that will act the same as organizer position.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Select "position" for Sort Direction. I think that will act the same as organizer position.

One of my baffling issues is that doesn't seem to be an option in my case...here's what I'm given to set specs with...
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    rich56k wrote: »
    One of my baffling issues is that doesn't seem to be an option in my case...here's what I'm given to set specs with...

OK I'm not sure how this happened - but I recreated some motorcycle galleries and they allowed me both o set order and change order - its just the Cars/Etc folder won't allow sorting...hmmm
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    In the gallery and go to organize. Is manually sort selected in the upper left?
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    In the gallery and go to organize. Is manually sort selected in the upper left?

yes it is...what I just noticed is the Cars/Etc is (was) a 'folder' containing 12 galleries and can not change order.

The new ones I just set up are pages...I deleted the Cars folder and recreated it as a page (containing 12 galleries) and re-added the link in the nav bar and all is sortable in all cases

The only downside is the "home" icon is visible in the upper left corner (not needed/wanted as my nav bar is on every page). The name of all these 'pages' that now contain my assorted galleries says 'gallery' (instead of the name : 'Cars; NMRA; TAMX, etc -not a deal breaker just making note).

The little home icon is an issue - any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    yes it is...what I just noticed is the Cars/Etc is (was) a 'folder' containing 12 galleries and can not change order.

The new ones I just set up are pages...I deleted the Cars folder and recreated it as a page (containing 12 galleries) and re-added the link in the nav bar and all is sortable in all cases

The only downside is the "home" icon is visible in the upper left corner (not needed/wanted as my nav bar is on every page). The name of all these 'pages' that now contain my assorted galleries says 'gallery' (instead of the name : 'Cars; NMRA; TAMX, etc -not a deal breaker just making note).

The little home icon is an issue - any suggestions?

I'm amazed but I think you guys are rubbing off on me (finally!!) rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I went into 'info' in FF web dev. and saw the element name and wrote my own CSS and on the third try it worked !!! deal.gif:D

Problem solved!! Woo, whoo!!
    .sm-fonticon
    {
      display: none;
    }

I think my only BIG issue left at this point is the damn watermarks that show on gallery thumbs - I went in some galleries and removed WM from only the featured image but that takes FOREVER and then I might as well give it to the world for free!!

Could that be done with CSS??
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 675 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2013

Sorting is done in a different way if "Select From" (3rd line on the Basic tab) set to "Galleries|Choose", which is what your picture shows you have. With that selection, Galleries display in the order you picked them. You can use the sidebar are the right side of the "chooser" page to de-select and re-select to get the order right, but it's awkward to use if you have more than just a few galleries.

If you want to sort the way Allen has been talking about, you need to set "Select From" to something else. "Current Location" uses the folder you are in (assuming your are working with a content block from a folder display rather than from a stand-alone page). "Folder" lets you pick a different folder.

Does that help?

Jim Ringland
    http://jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    Jtring wrote: »
    Sorting is done in a different way if "Select From" (3rd line on the Basic tab) set to "Galleries|Choose", which is what your picture shows you have. With that selection, Galleries display in the order you picked them. You can use the sidebar are the right side of the "chooser" page to de-select and re-select to get the order right, but it's awkward to use if you have more than just a few galleries.

If you want to sort the way Allen has been talking about, you need to set "Select From" to something else. "Current Location" uses the folder you are in (assuming your are working with a content block from a folder display rather than from a stand-alone page). "Folder" lets you pick a different folder.

Does that help?

Jim Ringland
    http://jtringl.smugmug.com

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply!

As I noted I finally found a plan B which is working for now (where were you 3 hours ago!) - actually I've been stressing over this for weeks but was 'too busy' at work to come online and post an call for help. rolleyes1.gif

What I'll do is cut and paste your solution so when I add my next batch of galleries I can go that route, deal.gif it makes more sense to me to use the folder with galleries anyway - I just beat my head against the wall so many times before I asked for help that it gets really frustrating at a point.

Thanks again!! thumb.gif

rich56k