Options

Site title

kdeadwylierkdeadwylier Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 24, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
How do I make the site title (content block) clickable (link to my homepage)?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 23, 2013
    Is there a reason you chose to use a title block instead of a logo block? The logo block has a click to URL property. I just checked mine and I didn't fill in that property but my logo (which is just text) does click to the home page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2013
    Denise, ever since my very up to date work computer did not display my main site google font, until I added some special code in css to make it, I've been worried that choosing a non-regular font is a risky decision overall.

I have an even riskier font for my logo (Frederika the great I think it's called).

Is there a risk that viewers will default a logo block font to Arial (or whatever)?
    Or is a logo block different than a title block, in terms of how a computer would or would not display the proper font?

I have a feeling I should make a png and use the image as the logo, to be on the safe side, at least for this piece.

The jury's still out on the site-wide font choice.

If you have advice for how one should handle this issue of using a font for the logo, and how SM handles google fonts (or how the world wide audience is likely to handle google fonts), I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Denise, ever since my very up to date work computer did not display my main site google font, until I added some special code in css to make it, I've been worried that choosing a non-regular font is a risky decision overall.
    Unfortunately I don't have any insight into this. I'm surprised that the google font didn't work (as I'm sure you were as well). I don't think using a logo block vs. a text block would make a difference though.

If you are nervous about font choice then creating and uploading a logo would remove the problem. That still doesn't answer the font issue elsewhere on your site though.

As for your font choice, what background color and font color are you using? I just took a look at that font and I would imagine it could be difficult to read depending on the separation of colors between background and font.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    Unfortunately I don't have any insight into this. I'm surprised that the google font didn't work (as I'm sure you were as well). I don't think using a logo block vs. a text block would make a difference though.

If you are nervous about font choice then creating and uploading a logo would remove the problem. That still doesn't answer the font issue elsewhere on your site though.

As for your font choice, what background color and font color are you using? I just took a look at that font and I would imagine it could be difficult to read depending on the separation of colors between background and font.

--- Denise

You can see a snippet in message 26 in this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=241995. A friend who considers herself very rigid and particular about wanting to see clean fonts, likes the site-wide font, which is Buda, and she likes the mild paper background texture and color.
    I will need to start a new thread on the subject of fonts because I am totally locked into quantum physics, I think.
    I have no idea what font size I'm looking at and every computer screen changes the size. I have no idea if what I see is what the world generally will see in terms of font size. Large looks too small. Translating px into pt and copying it into Word, changes the font size yet again. It's as crazy as the subject of color, no same color code is the same color. But, another time...
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I have no idea what font size I'm looking at and every computer screen changes the size. I have no idea if what I see is what the world generally will see in terms of font size. Large looks too small. Translating px into pt and copying it into Word, changes the font size yet again. It's as crazy as the subject of color, no same color code is the same color. But, another time...
    Do not copy your text into Word or any other word processing tool - copying it back into smug will bring along extra unwanted characters. If you want to edit outside of smug I'd recommend trying Notepad++ if you're running windows - http://notepad-plus-plus.org/.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2013
    Do not copy your text into Word or any other word processing tool - copying it back into smug will bring along extra unwanted characters. If you want to edit outside of smug I'd recommend trying Notepad++ if you're running windows - http://notepad-plus-plus.org/.

--- Denise

Yes, I know that, and I don't do that. What I was trying to do was "see" the "real" font size. Sometimes if you copy text from something and paste it into Word, Word will show you what the font size is. The problem is 20px looks like a great size to me in any browser window inside SM. Pasted into Word, it becomes 15 pt, which I see is the right equivalence between px and pt, but on the screen? In Word I'm looking at MONSTER size. It is not the same size as what I see in SM.
  • Options
    kdeadwylierkdeadwylier Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2013
    Is there a reason you chose to use a title block instead of a logo block? The logo block has a click to URL property. I just checked mine and I didn't fill in that property but my logo (which is just text) does click to the home page.

--- Denise

Thank you Denise I didn't know about logo blocks.