Options

Shipping Cost Different Direct From Bay Photo

MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
edited October 30, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Why if I buy a 20"x24" Glicee gallery wrap from Bay Photo via smugmug the shipping is $22.95, but directly from Bay Photo is only $1.50?

The SM product price is $3 lower than Bay Photo direct, but does not make up the $20 gap in shipping.

Am I missing something with the Bay Photo Pricing?

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    I don't work with the shipping prices, but it sounds like the shipping cost from SmugMug is overnight shipping which is quite expensive. I don't think Bay could ship anything for $1.50 overnight.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    The smugmug price is for standard shipping. The overnight and 2-day were even higher.

Check out the Bay Photo Link
  • Options
    rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2013
    This is why I use Bay directly or most other sources anymore. The last time a customer of mine ordered prints through SmugMug they charged $3.45 for three 4x6 photos and told me there was nothiing they would do about it because that's the charge and that's it. That is when I made my move to other printing sources as much as possible.
    Rich
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2013
    I use Bay ROES all the time. However, the $1.50 shipping is to me. When I drop ship directly to the customer, the shipping goes to $6.00. That doesn't bother me or my customers though as I can get MANY MORE products and a MUCH BETTER selection when using ROES vs. SM. That's why my direct SM sales have dropped this year. Too little choice in products offered.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2013
    As of right now, SmugMug charges more (much more) for shipping and more for some print sizes vs. directly dealing with BayPhoto. That is a fact.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    As of right now, SmugMug charges more (much more) for shipping and more for some print sizes vs. directly dealing with BayPhoto. That is a fact.

Last time I compared the same was true for EZPrint. When I asked how you could have such large difference (one if I recall was almost double the print price for framed canvas, but that's an old memory), I was told "we have terrific customer service". That's a true statement, but it is a costly feature in some cases.
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    well... now it's because: "... We understand that our shipping and handling prices are a bit higher than if you ordered through Bay Photo directly. We raise the shipping prices because of the order handling on our end and because of our print guarantee that covers you should anything go amiss with the order." There always be a reason "why" a company charge what they charge. But you, as a customer, can always see and feel when a company starts to charge arm and leg and simply becomes greedy.

SmugMug actually charged $31 shipping via USPS that is absolutely FREE if buying direct from BayPhoto. Bay photo offers UPS OVERNIGHT(!!!!!!) for $24- more than 10 bucks less than SmugMug charged me for a regular mail delivery!