Options

Display scaling problem

2»

Comments

• Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    Firefox ver 25.0.1 just out. Smugmug still has the same problem.
    And lots of other problems that need fixing! deal.gif

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    corinoscorinos Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    One month after the last post and I am not sure where this whole topic is. I agree and second every little comment that Dennis (dennismullen) has made.

I share his frustration when I see the photos that I PAINSTAKINGLY have resized and sharpened for optimum viewing in Photoshop are resized via some random method in a browser, instead of just showing pixel-per-pixel the original image (provided it fits the screen/window; which it DOES).

Take this page of mine as an example:
    http://www.orinosphotography.com/Portfolio/Panoramic/i-P6MNmW8

The first image was uploaded as a 1600 x 438 px file and is shown as such in the Gallery view and in the Lightbox view, without fiddling with the Size button.
    The second image was uploaded as a 1600 x 426 px file and is shown as a 1280 x 341 px (X2 size) in both the Gallery and Lightbox view.

Why the heck does Smugmug reduce the 1600 x 426 px file to X2 size since it complies with the X3 size? Even with the Original size feature missing (which IS MISSING indeed) one would expect the second photo from the gallery above to be left at the X3 size.

Additionally, both the first two images exhibit a different appearance in the Gallery anv Lightbox views; in the Gallery they appear LESS SHARP. Even the first image which is theoretically left untouched (i.e., not resized) looks less sharp compared to the version I uploaded and the version that is shown in the Lightbox view (which in turn is looking GOOD in terms of sharpness).

Can someone finally address those issues? I can speculate a handful of reason (talking about image processing, aliasing, 2D-convolution and other signal processing stuff) but I just want to see the photos looking NICE on my site in ALL possible views!

I tried a range of photo sites before I signed up on Smugmug 3 years ago and I only decided based not on the features but on how clear my photos looked on the thumbnails, the normal view and the slideshow.

Cheers,
    Chris

PS: I tested the above mentioned behavor in both Chrome and Safari (for windows). Admittedly the lack of sharpness in the Gallery view affects Safari to a lesser degree than Chrome but it is still there to the sharp-eyed viewer.