Options

Galleries within gallery

crocknycrockny Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited November 1, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi - In the old site I a Category of Nature - in that were Birds, Butterflies, etc. and in Birds were a ton of galleries of individual bird species ... the birds folder is completely missing in the new smug mug when I hit the "Nature" folder on the home page - how do I get it to show up?

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2013
    Just guessing here, but if you click to edit your site, on the right, click the All Folders section.
    Then on the Content tab, do you have "Folders, Galleries & Pages" as a block on your site? If not, drag it onto the left side, look for the highlighted areas where you can drop the block, and drop it in place.

I am not yet unveiled, so if you *are*, I'm not sure what you should do - basically save your revision. In my case I "publish", which saves the settings. Then check your folder and gallery and see if this has fixed it.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2013
    crockny wrote: »
    Hi - In the old site I a Category of Nature - in that were Birds, Butterflies, etc. and in Birds were a ton of galleries of individual bird species ... the birds folder is completely missing in the new smug mug when I hit the "Nature" folder on the home page - how do I get it to show up?
    Go to one of your legacy category pages. You should see the sub-cats and any galleries. If just a
    blank page, in customize highlight "all folders" add a "folders" and "galleries" box. By adding it to "all
    folders" these boxes will appear on every folder page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Just guessing here, but if you click to edit your site, on the right, click the All Folders section.
    Then on the Content tab, do you have "Folders, Galleries & Pages" as a block on your site? If not, drag it onto the left side, look for the highlighted areas where you can drop the block, and drop it in place.

I am not yet unveiled, so if you *are*, I'm not sure what you should do - basically save your revision. In my case I "publish", which saves the settings. Then check your folder and gallery and see if this has fixed it.

Thanks Chancy Rat - that worked!
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013
    Do you know how I can see my keywords? On the old site I just clicked on keywords which came over automatically from photoshop - now I don't see them -- I used them quite often to backtrack to the folders to work on my pics ...
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013
    What gallery style is your site (or page) set to, where you expect to see keywords? I believe some gallery styles have trouble with keywords currently.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013
    I'm using Dina - I think I see keywords under the individual photos now ... I don't know how to log out of the new site the way I did out of the old site to see what the public is seeing! It's just one thing after another with this "easy" customization!
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013
    I have not unveiled yet myself. Are you unveiled? Not unveiled, I don't think there's a way to see what the public will see once you are unveiled, because to see your new site, you have to be logged in.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    I am unveiled -- it doesn't look too bad but it's so different from the old I can't find my way around -- now it won't let me create a new gallery!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    crockny wrote: »
    I am unveiled -- it doesn't look too bad but it's so different from the old I can't find my way around -- now it won't let me create a new gallery!

Log in. At the top you should see "organize". This is where you do everything very differently - and much better imo - than Legacy. On the left you can drag folders and galleries up and down to new locations.
    If you click on a folder (on the left), on the right you will see all the galleries on the right, and you can move them to a different order.

To make a new gallery, click onto (on the left) the folder you want it in, and at the top is "create", to choose what to create.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    Yes that worked - I figured out how to logout and in and made a new gallery under "organize" - I couldn't make a new gallery from within the category even though it says "create gallery" ... after logging out my keywords still seem to be visible - how do I hide them? Thanks for all your help!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    OK I forgot to mention something. If you create new anything in New mode, you will not be able to see them in Legacy mode.

If you create them in Legacy mode, you will see them and be able to see and edit them in New mode.

EDIT: Once you Unveil, everything new will be visible. Right now I create everything new in Legacy mode so I can see them in Legacy.

Sorry about that.

Why do you say you made a new gallery and then that you could not? Or were you assuming you couldn't because you don't see it in Legacy when you log out.\

The keywords are a whole 'nother universe and I am much less versed in them. I suggest posting another thread on them, or waiting until someone else can comment here.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    Sometimes I have one browser open where I work in Legacy (making new galleries, relocating them, looking at the content of a particular gallery, etc.), and a different browser open where I'm logged into new mode. Work in both worlds simultaneously.

When I make changes in legacy, I have to refresh in the other browser to make sure the new changes populate. Sometimes I wait a minute and refresh a couple of times, just to let the two systems talk to each other.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    I forgot you said you are unveiled. So - are you still not seeing a gallery? When you're logged in, go to organize, click on the gallery, and check the settings (see top for the button to access), check that your security settings are not "unlisted" or "private".
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    No - I said I tried to create a new gallery another way and it didn't work - your way worked ... I do see it - I no longer have legacy ... have to figure out keywords -- thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    There are glitches with keywords. You could do a search in this forum for the term to read up.
    And, some gallery styles do show them, some don't.
    If the threads on the subject don't answer your question, you could post a new thread with the question.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    Thanks for your help!