Options

Girls Hockey

wiredcurwiredcur Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited October 31, 2013 in Sports
Finally bit the bullet and picked up a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 for my D90. Here are two of the shots I took from a game this past weekend using that lens. C&C always welcome.

I shot both JPEG and RAW. Out of about 250+ photos, about 20 didn't look to me to need any white balance adjustment.

DSC_5069-XL.jpg

#2 - Original
DSC_5031-XL.jpg

#2 - Cropped (too much?)
DSC_5031-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2013
    I don't know what has happened to all the hockey shooters on this forum. Your pics appear to be underexposed on my laptop but that just maybe my mac. If you want to shoot hockey I would suggest you review some of the threads on this forum. In other years there have been some very good shooters on dgrin but they do not comment much now. In an action shot it is always good to have a face and a puck. I would direct you to threads started by aktse. She is a good shooter and you will receive some good advise. Lots of luck with your shooting.j
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll dig around for those threads.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    The first shot is devoid of action and our attention is not really drawn to any one player. The face-off shot is a decent "sportrait" but I wish the girl's face wasn't so crowded by the ref's arm. If I took that shot of my daughter I'd keep it but hope to get a better one next time. The cropped version is a little too tight for me, I like the number on the sleeve. But the original is definitely too loose. The exposures are probably an accurate portrayal of what the light in the arena looked like, but that doesn't matter, ice and boards should be much closer to white, regardless of what it was "in real life".

fichl31-X3.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    I like to shoot hockey as well and post here .I have shot a bunch this year ,but have not posted any .I finally got a 70-200 2.8 (no is) but am really stuggling to get consistent face focus on any of my shots.
    Thats why i have not posted any .

OP looks similar to when I started posting here , watch , read and listen on here .I've improved 100% since i first came on here by doing that
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2013
    Thanks jmphotocraft for the feedback.

The changes below were done with the Edit - PicMonkey site through my smugmug gallery. These were just to see if I could get the whites white per your suggestion. I've also performed the same change on some other 'action' shots (making sure a puck was in there). Getting the ice and boards to WHITE makes a huge difference. I'll be paying attention to that in the future.

#2 - Cropped Original Post
    DSC_5031-L.jpg

#2 Cropped - Color and Exposure Adjusted
    DSC_5031-L.jpg

#3 - Before (the original image has more of the ref showing - tried to crop it to just the skater but wanted to keep the ref)
    DSC_5055-L.jpg

#3 - After Color and Exposure Adjustment
    DSC_5055-L.jpg

#4 - Before (I feel this is too busy)
    DSC_5132-L.jpg

#4 - After Color and Exposure Adjustment
    DSC_5132-L.jpg

#5 - Before (too much out of focus to be a good shot, my opinion)
    DSC_4967-L.jpg

#5 - After Color and Exposure Adjustment
    DSC_4967-L.jpg
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    Much better. thumb.gif However #4 has turned greenish. I would also crop it tighter and probably delete the stick on the left.

I'm not sure why you didn't lead with this selection of photos in your first post, the captures of the action are much better.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2013
    ne_nau.gif Didn't have the Sports = Action filter turned on in my first post.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    General comments:
    1) You are underexposed
    2) If possible, set white balance at the rink. You can do it in post, but I rather get it right in camera
    3) Shoot tight, crop tighter. ALways.
    4) In each frame, you want face, action, puck and/or emotion. A photo being just "in focus" isn't going to cut it as a sports photo....

1. Face, action, puck
    i-bcTcptJ-L.jpg

2. Face, action, puck, and a bit of emotion as she finds a path through the skaters
    i-NrQCHMk-L.jpg

3. Action, Emotion: you know the puck is there and the person in red is going to get hit
    i-khqW9Fm-L.jpg

4. no puck, but a sportrait.
    i-vf6WDVM-L.jpg

Good luck and keep shooting
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 30, 2013
    The purple cast looks like a cycling light problem.

I also agree that it's better to get the WB correct at the rink. You can find some hints for setting WB in several threads here.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Thanks. I've got three games this weekend that will hopefully give me plenty of opportunity to practice.