Check this out. Underwater stuff.

MolsondogMolsondog Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited December 19, 2005 in Holy Macro

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    I have entered a comp to win one for my 20D...i am sweating here like crazy waiting to hear if i won it.

They (from what i have read) have audible moisture alarms in them. Worst part is that if i was to win it then im going to have to float like a giant lump of bait to use it eek7.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Excellent Link
    Molsondog wrote:
    Having seen too many submarine movies where the water squirts through the hull I'm not sure I'd do this with a D2X.

Great images. Anyone here do this for hobby or profession?

http://www.amustard.com/?page=gallery&subpage=photo&size=s
    Gawwwd if I lived in Queensland Australia it would be my choice of hobbies I tell you......the water up there is much much warmer than you'll find down my neck of the woods, plus they have the Great Barrier Reef and the most amazing underwater creatures you ever did see.

The shots of the ship wrecks on that link are fantastic, I love the ship and check out the old motorbikes all covered in barnicles etc, this guy has got some really beautiful work on that site indeed........thanks for sharing.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Hey Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    I have entered a comp to win one for my 20D...i am sweating here like crazy waiting to hear if i won it.

They (from what i have read) have audible moisture alarms in them. Worst part is that if i was to win it then im going to have to float like a giant lump of bait to use it eek7.gif
    But those Whites prefer their bait with the skins off mwink.gif but I also heard they prefer tourists rolleyes1.gif ...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited December 16, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    But those Whites prefer their bait with the skins off mwink.gif but I also heard they prefer tourists rolleyes1.gif ...... Skippy (Australia)
    I dont care ,one got a surfer here a while back....ate him on the spot.

Actually its tigers that i really freak out about...they dont care whats in the water...its all food.
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    My husband lived on Magnetic Island off Townsville from when he was 4 till he was 13...Lucky bugger. He tells me all the stories about going snorkelling and spear fishing every day...

I always see coral and stuff on tv and he says oh yeah, I cut myself on a piece of that or...Once I speared this big fish next to some of that...Some people have it good I tell youumph.gifrofl

I have always wanted to try underwater stuff. That gallery is awesome. Gus, I hope you win that housing but please, try not to become tiger shark food...:uhoh
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
    edited December 16, 2005
    There are some biggies up that way RM. I was at the heron is research station once & we forgot about the tide. We had to swim 400 yards back to the island past hundreds of huge stingrays & as we were sitting on the beach having a breather...an 8 foot tiger came in right where we had been swimming (this is 10 mins later) & started chomping on stingrays big time. The scientists just laughed when we told them about it & said "...so you met trevor then 'eh ?, he does that every high tide & would never harm you unless you were a stingray"
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    I'd love to do some of that stuff, although I'd get pretty nervous around Stingrays. My friend came out here from Michigan during the summer and got stung by a stingray while in the ocean. It did not look like fun....

I hear that down there in Australia thay have "Wasp Jellyfish" that an kill you just by getting stung. I wouldn't want to run into one of those!
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
    edited December 17, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    I'd love to do some of that stuff, although I'd get pretty nervous around Stingrays. My friend came out here from Michigan during the summer and got stung by a stingray while in the ocean. It did not look like fun....

I hear that down there in Australia thay have "Wasp Jellyfish" that an kill you just by getting stung. I wouldn't want to run into one of those!

Sting rays are very passive animals & will only ever sting you if you step on them whilst in the shallows. The sea wasp (box jellyfish) is a jellyfish that lives to the north of me (they have been found around here though). Its sting is considered to be the most excruciating known to man & many people go into shock from pain & drown before the venom gets them.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Sting rays are very passive animals & will only ever sting you if you step on them whilst in the shallows. The sea wasp (box jellyfish) is a jellyfish that lives to the north of me (they have been found around here though). Its sting is considered to be the most excruciating known to man & many people go into shock from pain & drown before the venom gets them.

Yeah, I've read a ton on Stingrays and Jellyfish. For some reason Jellyfish fascinate me. I know that Stingrays are very passive, but there is always that fear in the back of my head. Down here at our beaches, the water isn't clear enough to see Stingrays. I always shuffle my feet while walking out into the water to catch some waves.:):
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 19, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    Yeah, I've read a ton on Stingrays and Jellyfish. For some reason Jellyfish fascinate me. I know that Stingrays are very passive, but there is always that fear in the back of my head. Down here at our beaches, the water isn't clear enough to see Stingrays. I always shuffle my feet while walking out into the water to catch some waves.:):

Short hijack...

Jelly's are cool. Monterey Bay Aquarium has been displaying them for several
    years. They've got a fairly good breeding program too.

10250522-M.jpg

Here's a moon jelly.

Stingrays suck. In the Monterey Bay, I inadvertently put my (gloved) hand
    on one. That hurt. You can bet I won't do that again :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?