Headshots- testing

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited December 20, 2005 in People
For the next play that I am in instead of taking pictures of the scenes the director wants headshots of the actors to put up.
Reasons for this include that it is a murder mystery and you don't want to give anything away.
The play is called The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie. Check it out if it ever plays in your area.
Anyway, I tried some shots on myself, my brother and them went back and tried to make headshots of other people I took.
Tell me what you think. Any tricks and tips would be helpful.
Ashley
P.S.-They are sharper at their orginal size.

1.me
x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GH7CeQ51tAtSOszZ_tSu6f9RuV2zUka1126ZlwdTobSvCcSLt6Pjc-IxOWnS9yTXFsMiRXsf_rdeuBlAWIxSrzkJ4-k2oFwwNjVrGy0JU4On2TxdDm2AuNL

2.For fun... I was telling him to smile... my brother
x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GFtZy_9Hcvd82UNcqobIrgq9weR3-fysHFRAfSyktPOQ1qXMJnbF46ZZaThRBlo0xTe_vWz1sNEQKEe7ZQPXKFOt1IhHsLuk8W10Ri6ABj4V905M7yWYCKD

3.Genieve
x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GEKZ6RYKoWLX3b1hr0-3kf-XJO0iwWGKvoGIo0s6wbcyFMNnh4p_gSqWV719ekJB-FZjFdvvrMptrRk07p563DrYxyJLxdhSA6k1tsao0n8rw

4.Our stage manager Ashley
x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GEFYLsXrEjgOjGY5XBXzS31kP5jD8BoWLJijeRx140ayK1YKNgvjzuXdIr4jY0odJPalsRSiRua_xlrdE8oUYnsoIjYYiREzDYWL9LNqKcLZVg6PT115fGL

Thanks for looking.
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    wave.gif Hiya Ashley

Too much light - you've got blown areas - IMO either go totally blown (high-key) or watch your lights carefully. Try a single light - off to the side 45 degrees - and play with the angle and intensity. You can ask your subjects - self to change angles, too. Create interesting shadows whhich give depth and character. Headshots for actors are typically sterile, and that's ok, but there's no reason you can't get interesting either. I think your bws could use some more punch - search dgrin for greg gorman or go to his site - there's a great tute there you can copy. Another fantastic tute is by Petteri - google for petteri's pontifications and then find his bw article - great stuff. Watch your backgrounds. Watch your backgrounds. Watch your backgrounds.

All the best,
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Hi Andy,
    I will be trying those tips with my next pictures.
    I looked at gorman's site, it very nice and why I can't understand all he is saying to do I did play around alot. Sure is a lot to learn but it does make a difference.
    Now, I know this wasn't ideal light but I tried some of the techinques- as many as I could figure out and came up with this.
    What do you think? Sometimes I go over board on new things so at first I can't tell.
    Thanks for your help,
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    I think it looks better Ashley. Keep at it! thumb.gif

Like Andy said, watch the backgrounds. I know first hand that's hard to do (I'm still learning myself) but it makes such a difference.

Erich
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Hi Andy,
    I will be trying those tips with my next pictures.
    I looked at gorman's site, it very nice and why I can't understand all he is saying to do I did play around alot. Sure is a lot to learn but it does make a difference.
    Now, I know this wasn't ideal light but I tried some of the techinques- as many as I could figure out and came up with this.
    What do you think? Sometimes I go over board on new things so at first I can't tell.
    Thanks for your help,
    Ashley

This one's much better - and I love your expression! Lots of feeling in this photo. The bw is very pleasant. But yeah, watch the background for serious work...
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Yes, much better. Before you do anything fancy with these conversions, try looking at just the green or blue channels. Often these make fine B&W convesions all by themselves.
    If not now, when?
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Thanks guys... if only she was in the play...
    Anyhows...I get the watch the background comments alot. I know I need one where the hair doesn't get lost so I need to use a lighter background maybe, but any tips I what I did wrong or what not to do the future.
    Thanks,
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!