Options

It's a Hawk!

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited December 16, 2005 in Wildlife
Ok bad picture as far as light and color, but it is IN FOCUS! After 4PM, very cloudy f4, 400, 200mm, 1/800 and REALLY cropped. Just a couple minutes before he was sitting right outside the kitchen window..had the 50mm on the camera:cry Oh yea it was doing the rain/sleet thing. This is the second day he has buzzed in at around 4, will be waiting today.

I would say this is a back lit shot and the ev was set at +.63 what shoud I do differnt since conditions are the same today.

Thanks..Yes it is a crappy shot:wxwax:D48506822-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Don't knock yourself, most people would pass by the tree and never notice such a stunning creature!! :wow

As far as crappy goes I've seen much much worse, where you ask ON MY HARD DRIVE, come here I'll show ya rolleyes1.gif :lol4 :lol :cry :D

Improvements sure, better light would be one but Raptors seem to like backlight situations. Your EXIF looks OK. Longer lens for sure, all us wildlife types are saving up for longer, faster glass thumb.gif.

If your good at post work this shot can be improved there, and if your not I would practice and learn starting there. Many good posts/tutorial can be found right here at Dgrin!!

Of course all the above is JMHO :D
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    If your good at post work this shot can be improved there, and if your not I would practice and learn starting there. Many good posts/tutorial can be found right here at Dgrin!!

Of course all the above is JMHO :D
    Yea your opinions are always welcome and thanks..Pretty bad a post work but playing with this a bit, who knows and have been reading.Yea longer glass would be nice then probably couldn't have held it steady. Then again a month ago I probably couldn't have held the 70-200 full out either:D
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Any rapture capture is a good capture. You did as well as you could have under rotten shooting conditions. You might have upped the EV adjustment to 1.0 or 1.3 but thats about it.

In your post work try the shadow/highlights tool is you have PS CS.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Teach me to see, teach me to see..........

As Ben pointed out, Open my eyes to these creatures above me. All I see are many trees. And I know, I just know............

Congratulations on the capture, Thusie!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Any rapture capture is a good capture. You did as well as you could have under rotten shooting conditions. You might have upped the EV adjustment to 1.0 or 1.3 but thats about it.

In your post work try the shadow/highlights tool is you have PS CS.
    Really! Thanks Harry.. I am using PSE but it does have the S/H thing. Will give it a go.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Teach me to see, teach me to see..........

As Ben pointed out, Open my eyes to these creatures above me. All I see are many trees. And I know, I just know............

Congratulations on the capture, Thusie!

ginger
    Thanks Ginger..It isn't often I can spot something and not Don, he sees everything, he couldn't see this guy.