Options

580EXii Modification for RF inteference: Sizzle, snap crackle ????

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited November 1, 2013 in Accessories
I sent in all my flashes to have the modification done to eliminate the RF interference when used with tt1/tt5 flex system.

The one thing I noticed is NOW when I turn the flashes on, I can hear them?

they sorta sizzle a barely audible sound.

Has anyone noticed this or had this modification done?

What have I done?

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited October 31, 2013
    Have you contacted the company which did the conversion with this information?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    From the Repair Facility:

HI there,
    Snap, crackle and pop, humm
    When charging up they do make noises (faint) one is the actual charging of the flash and the other is the positioning of the flash tube (zoom)
    To have all three making the same noise would make me think it’s just their normal initialization.
    I would be happy to take a look (listen) and see if they sound ok.
    Maybe just send one, if they all sound the same.
    As far as draining power, if it’s their normal “startup” the flash will use power for that and then conserve power until it’s used.
    We do many of these conversions and this would be the first case where the flashes make unusual noises.
    Not to say that this may be the first..

Happy to help in any way.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Will someone who has a 580EXii please go to a quiet place in your home and turn your flash on and tell me iff you can hear it or otherwise know it is ON.

Please.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator
    edited October 31, 2013
    When turned to ON it immediately makes a loud double whirrr sound, which is the motor moving the back of the zooming portion rearward and then forward again. Then silence, or so I thought. When placing one's ear up to the base, there is a very quiet beep - beep - silence - beep - beep - silence repeating pattern. But you literally have to place it up to your ear to hear that. No snapping or crackles.

EDIT: Did a second try. The minute sound is now one little beep, silence and then another. Third time and it sounds a little different, like the beep is so short it might be be interpreted as a pop. But all so extremely quiet as to never be alarming. A dog might be able to hear it a few inches away, maybe.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    When turned to ON it immediately makes a loud double whirrr sound, which is the motor moving the back of the zooming portion rearward and then forward again. Then silence, or so I thought. When placing one's ear up to the base, there is a very quiet beep - beep - silence - beep - beep - silence repeating pattern. But you literally have to place it up to your ear to hear that. No snapping or crackles.

EDIT: Did a second try. The minute sound is now one little beep, silence and then another. Third time and it sounds a little different, like the beep is so short it might be be interpreted as a pop. But all so extremely quiet as to never be alarming. A dog might be able to hear it a few inches away, maybe.
    Yes those are the normal start up noises they make alright...but after it all settles down:

In a quiet room, i can stand with each of 3 580EXiis about 2 feet or so and I can hear what sounds sorta like mild sizzling? lowish frequency low volume but percievable electronic crackling.

I appreciate not having to wear the AC5s during shoots cuz one inadvertantly depresses buttons and cannot monitor the LCD on the flash oh and it annoying to slip the power cord under these...etc....

thanks...so in other words...nothing like what I am hearing.... OH and BTW-it is not just an initial transient thing as long as it is turned on I can hear it.....I am no dog hahahaha...so I will have to research this..

would love to hear if this is common with 580EXii mods..

I just don't like this-had I known I would have researched this more...
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    "Mild sizzling." That does sound bad. Mine is an early copy. I waited to get the mkII due to it being quieter and more solidly constructed compared to the Mk.I version (which was terrible in many ways). I wonder if there are differences in the way some II's were made, like model years or different factory? You'll likely need more responses to your question.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    "Mild sizzling." That does sound bad. Mine is an early copy. I waited to get the mkII due to it being quieter and more solidly constructed compared to the Mk.I version (which was terrible in many ways). I wonder if there are differences in the way some II's were made, like model years or different factory? You'll likely need more responses to your question.

are we talking about the same thing?

I am talking about the NEW sounds my Canon 580EXii speedlite flashes make now that they have come back from the facility that makes a modification to eliminate the RF noise that interferes with the pocket Wizard TT1/TT5 flex system for wireless studio flash control..... hmmmm?
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Oh, that's different. Sizzling before or after, both bad I think. I'm going to blame the strong prescription drugs I'm on for the misunderstanding. deal.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2013
    I sent 3 of my 580 IIs for this modification -- none came back making any new sounds.