Holiday Picture for a friend

JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
edited December 16, 2005 in People
Our friends asked me to take a photo of their children for their x-mas card.

My lighting was my on the camera 550EX with a Lumiquest diffuser and a remote flashed placed high in the right corner on a manual setting to get the hair light.

This is the one they chose.
48467171-L-1.jpg

The rest of the gallery is located here:
http://jimmitte.smugmug.com/gallery/1044078/1/48467171

Thoughts? I think my faces look a little flat... one of these days I swear I am going to learn photoshop.
Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    JimM wrote:
    Our friends asked me to take a photo of their children for their x-mas card.

My lighting was my on the camera 550EX with a Lumiquest diffuser and a remote flashed placed high in the right corner on a manual setting to get the hair light.

This is the one they chose.

The rest of the gallery is located here:
    http://jimmitte.smugmug.com/gallery/1044078/1/48467171

Thoughts? I think my faces look a little flat... one of these days I swear I am going to learn photoshop.
    yeah.. maybe a tad flat and a tinsey bit dark. BUT. .. I still think it's lovely and a perfect card shot. Nice to see blue as well instead of the same ole' red all the time. :D
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Hi Jim,

Great photos, but you are right... you should learn photoshop!

A small contrast adjustment using curves provided some nice enhancements giving it just the amount of pop it needed. I darkened the lips and other facial features using the "burn shadows" tool at 5% opacity, and then "highlight dodged" the eyes at 5% just to bring them out a bit.

jim-vi.jpg

Beautiful girls! This is my favorite from the set.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Well, let's not all do this at once. I saw and I couldn't resist.

48541293-L.jpg

Full res here: http://rutt.smugmug.com/photos/48541293-O.jpg

I took a more conservative approach with this shot. It was too dark and it was too blue, i.e., not enough yellow to balance the magenta in the flesh tones. So I nudged the blue curve a bit in RGB to fix the color balance:

48543548-M.jpg

Then used LAB curves to improve the contrast and add some color differentiation. This last is straight from the basic Dan Marguls Chapter 1 recipe.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 16, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Well, let's not all do this at once. I saw and I couldn't resist.

Full res here: http://rutt.smugmug.com/photos/48541293-O.jpg

I took a more conservative approach with this shot. It was too dark and it was too blue, i.e., not enough yellow to balance the magenta in the flesh tones. So I nudged the blue curve a bit in RGB to fix the color balance:

Then used LAB curves to improve the contrast and add some color differentiation. This last is straight from the basic Dan Marguls Chapter 1 recipe.
    Nice job Rutt... :D
    edited December 16, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    Hi Jim,

Great photos, but you are right... you should learn photoshop!

A small contrast adjustment using curves provided some nice enhancements giving it just the amount of pop it needed. I darkened the lips and other facial features using the "burn shadows" tool at 5% opacity, and then "highlight dodged" the eyes at 5% just to bring them out a bit.
    Beautiful girls! This is my favorite from the set.
    Owen.. I think these are WAY over done.. too much red lips, too much blue.. they look like Vegas Girls not "little girls".. sorry..umph.gif
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Thank you both for your work. You really point out that I need to learn PS.

Rutt, thank you for including the original. I am going to have the prints made from this.

Thanks!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    ... Nevermind. :)