Options

Trying To Re-Create this site

GanginwoodGanginwood Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited November 4, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
http://www.ivanmakarov.com/

The question is, Is this a WP theme or straight from the new Smugmug? I'm about to jump ship and migrate to something else but if I can get something like this from the new template, I'd probably stay.

The blog is obviously from fastline media since it says it at the bottom of the page. What about the header?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,255 moderator
    edited October 31, 2013
    This is a new SmugMug site.
    It looks like the blog entry in the navbar goes to a blog site but the other entries look to be pure new smug.

I've deleted the duplicate thread you posted in the Legacy SmugMug Customization forum; it's best to post a question in only one place. Since you're question is related to new smugmug this is a better location for it.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    any tips on getting me started for placing my logo and name in the top and far left corner of the page? also getting the links on the same line at the top? I can't seem to get it where I need it.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    There are some stunning homepage slideshow customizations you can make in new SM, if you decide to say.
    Check some of them:

http://www.smugocity.com/

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237930
    http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

And this thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238292&highlight=slideshow

You could also check people's site as they are posted here, for ideas:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237680
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Should I not be able to take a menu box, or nav bar, or social media box and drag it wherever I want on the screen? I can't even delete the box from the template and insert a different one from the menu. for starters, that would really help.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Ganginwood wrote: »
    Should I not be able to take a menu box, or nav bar, or social media box and drag it wherever I want on the screen? I can't even delete the box from the template and insert a different one from the menu. for starters, that would really help.
    You should be able to move boxes.

I've had problems with drag and drop in different browsers. If you can't drag something in your browser of choice it's worth trying a different browser.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013

Not sure this will clarify, but --
    There is a green section that is the "default SM content" that can't be modified in the main customize area. That is your old gallery description content that people see currently (in Legacy).

You can modify this in Legacy if you really need to. You can also modify it via:
    Organize (at the top when in New SM mode), then navigate on the left to the gallery you are working on, click to highlight it, and then at the top is an icon for Settings. Here you will see the old "gallery descriptions" field, where you can replace the contents as needed. However it's very tiny, so you would work in notepad and then copy/paste into this field. This field can take HTML.

But, better/easier/more options, is to leave this alone and go back to edit your gallery. Leave the green locked block in place. Instead, on the right side (black area, are content blocks. Find the one you want and use your mouse to drag it from the right, onto the work area on the left. Move the block around with the mouse and notice that some horizontal or vertical green bar areas pop up. These are where you can drop your block. You can drop any kind of block above, below, or to the left and right of any other block type. If you want blocks side by side, you can have this and set the container widths so that each takes a certain amount, such as 34%, 66%.

When you have dropped a block in place, the top bar of the block will be highlighted. The triangle is for setting margins and dimensions, the wrench is for settings, where you will see different options for different block types.

See if you can get the knack of adding blocks.

For myself, in a gallery where I have HTML (which is mostly broken in Legacy), I'm adding HTML, text, and photo blocks below the gallery title (which itself is a title block), and above the locked green SM content (old html), and recreating the HTML properly. I'll leave the old gallery content alone until right before or after I "unveil," at which point I'll delete the old content altogether.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    I forgot to say, before you move content blocks from right to left, make sure you are in the section of your site you want to modify. The choices are at the top right (black area), Entire Site, Homepage, All Folders, All galleries, and, when you're in one gallery that you want to tweak specially, that you select "this page only" so that the changes are limited to the one gallery.

So for example on Sitewide, I have the navbar block. On Homepage, which you can set to be distinct from Sitewide, I have a navbar on the left side (none at the top), then special content.

Check also, on the right side black areas, the tabs for Theme and Layout. Theme will be your main theme for your entire site, with options to tweak, and Layout will have different options depending on which area you are modifying. For example you can change from Stretchy to Fixed, or add a sidebar for a left nav block on the home page.

Getting the hang of adding blocks has a little ramp-up time to become familiar, and customizing some of them can be tedious sometimes, but the variations for customizing are endless, which is just great.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Chancy,
    That's my issue...When I drag a box from the content area, the only place I can drop it is onto the middle "green section" I also cannot delete a content box that came stock with the template. The only options I see in the template content box is a wrench. I do not see the trash can etc....I will check again at home from another browser.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Chancy,
    That's my issue...When I drag a box from the content area, the only place I can drop it is onto the middle "green section" I also cannot delete a content box that came stock with the template. The only options I see in the template content box is a wrench. I do not see the trash can etc....I will check again at home from another browser.

What type of page are you working with? Homepage, gallery, page, all folders, all galleries?

You cannot drop a block onto the locked green Smugmug default.
    The horizontal and vertical green areas I mentioned, are very narrow - lines, really.
    Maybe Denise's point about some browsers having problems, is what's going on?
    For starters, once you're using the right browser, try dragging something simple, a text block for example, onto the left. Hold it with the mouse and hover it just above the locked area.
    In this snapshot, this is what I'mm doing. The text you see is part of the default locked block. I'm hovering a text block right above it, found the green bar I need. I had to move it around because I could have placed the block in different locations.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    It occurs to me that if you are working in a gallery with no content, the Green area may be quite large - and accessible. If so, drop your block in. After that adding other blocks will change the size of green areas available for dropping.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    Chancy,
    Keep in mind that in Legacy smug you needed to use Galleries for pages containing text because there was no other option. If you have HTML-only galleries in legacy I encourage you to review them and consider building Pages in new smug. Use galleries for your photos; use pages for other content.

Can you post a link to your current site? That might allow us to make some suggestions for how to move from legacy to new smug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 1, 2013
    Also keep in mind that things set in the "Entire Site" won't be able to be removed in the "All Galleries" or "All Folders". So the elements that you see as "default" and can't change may be because they're part of "Entire Site".

Note that none of the Gallery Layout pages are customizable. You can customize a page, you can customize the wrapper for what goes around galleries, but the content in the galleries themselves are non-changeable. I hope this changes in the future so we don't have to use CSS to change things.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    here's my current site
    www.kevindeibert.com

i'm using "Zoe" I think for my template.
    i'm trying to replicate what i placed in my OP

Currently working on the home page
    Screenshot....It will let my place a content box to the left or right of the image in the highlighted box (blue) It will not let me drag or relocate anything in red. In fact, I don't even see an option to delete the red area.

As for the "green blocked area". I don't see that either.
    screen3-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    What section of your site are you working in? On the right side, black area, top, you will be in Entire Site, Homepage, All Folders, All Galleries, or Just This Page. Based on the bottom photo, are you in Homepage?

The Red is locked because you are not currently in the Entire Site section. If you go to Entire Site, you will be able to edit that block.
    First choose where you want to be working.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    thanks. are there videos on how to customize or just the general ones i keep coming across
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    There are videos but I have not watched them myself. You can browse this thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238545 for options.

The wizards on this group (I'm not one of them, I just benefit from them :D) are awesome at getting folks on the right track. So, use the links but post here any time.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    Ok..I switched this to "Entire Site". There are more options but I just can't drag an existing box anywhere I want. I also can't place anything (text/social media etc) anywhere up top. Here is a screenshot with everything deleted.

In red is what I want....just like the link in the OP. What should I do first?
    Thanks in advance...I appreciate all the help
    screenshot5-M.png
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    In other words...my empty grey boxes above, will not move. Are they supposed to? I want the "header box" pulled to the far left. I want the Box only to contain my name/logo. To the right of the logo I want links to my pages, but I want them even with my logo. To the right of that...my social media links.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    I'm going to post 2 replies images. This one, it looks like you have a left sidebar set up. Did you want that? Check to turn it off if it's on and you don't want it, like so:
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    The way you drew your lines, I'm not sure if you're finding the right places to drop blocks.

For one, you can't drop any content on the green block called Site Content. That's the default SM material.

Then, do you havethe Content tab open on the right (black area). You left click the type of block you want and drag it to the spot you want. Here's an example, I'm hovering a text block below the navbar and above the Site Content, and there's a green bar that has appeared showing me I can drop here.

These green lines appear all over, above, below, beside other blocks. Move the mouse holding the block around to become familiar with where you can drop the blocks.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2013
    Gangin', mistake by me. You *can* drop blocks into entire site, that section on entire site is not the locked type. But, you don't want a page in the middle of your entire site, I think. The image you posted with the lines, would do that. So every folder, every gallery, every page, would have that one picture in the middle.

Did you want a picture on your homepage? If so, click to modify that section (sections are on the right black area, top).

At the moment the only thing I have on my entire site, is a navbar at the top. Then I have the homepage setting to exempt the homepage only from that setting. That way all the folders and galleries and pages except the homepage have a navbar at the top.

Then the homepage and all folders, drag from the right side, under Navigation, the block for Folders, Galleries & Pages, on the both of these sections. This is the basic fundamental content for your site. It's similar to Legacy, with the thumbnails and navigation through your site.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    Is it the template that I'm using?

Here's another screenshot of what I want and what I have. I want my logo in the VERY TOP left corner and my name next to it. I also want my links (on the same line and in the center of the page)

Currently I cannot get my name to move further left than where I have it.

I'm assuming there is no way to share the changes with you since the site is not live?
    2screens-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    I'm guessing this is a start in the right direction. I deleted everything on the top of the page. I went to layout/sections/header width. I set the width to 1309 which looks like the max width. From here I'm hoping to drop in my other boxes??
    3screen-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    It looks like you got the hang of dropping blocks in place.
    I see you want 3 different blocks on the same horizontal header.
    Drop each in place (your earlier photo had this, I think.)

On the snapshot of the Layout tab you showed, I can't see if you have the site set to stretchy, or fixed.

On the left side block, click the triangle on the highlighted top bar and set the container width for the block

If you have Stretchy, then percentage is what you will set. If your site is set to fixed, then you'll see an option for px.

When you set block 1, e.g., 33%, the other 2 blocks will adjust to 33% and 33%. If you set block 2 to 20%, then block 3 will auto-adjust to fill in the 100%.

My guess is that you'll need to add another block, maybe a text block with nothing in it, to add blank space in the sense of pushing one or more of the blocks left or right.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    Also check the wrench icon on each block and check for settings you can change. I haven't got the type of header you have so I'm not sure what options you have for modifying the layout via settings.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    Next question(s): I'd like to move onto the menu links.
    How do I set the color choice for the text in the context boxes for menu (my menu links)? I only have 3 choices. emphasized accent or muted.

What do I choose to have a drop down menu from each link? Can I have 5 links and only 2 drop a menu? I'm guessing the menu would be a gallery.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    Changing font color will be by CSS.
    Experiment with a navbar as you will see you can control the options in great detail. You have to add the links you want. I.e., a navbar won't populate with all of your site automatically.

When you add a link to a folder, you can turn on "include folder contents", for the sub-menu to turn on.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    Looks like i'm making some progress. i'm sure i'll have more questions. but for now...an obvious one.

Here are 2 more screenshots. I guess what makes this hard is that i'm seeing that blue bar at the top since I haven't unveiled yet and when i'm editing I have the green bar at the top....so it never looks like I want it to.

is this what a visitor would see not logged in? (my bottom crop)

edit view/unveiled
    without%20crop-L.jpg

cropped view
    crop-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    I am not entirely sure what a visitor will see, since I haven't unveiled myself. But, do this:
    - edit your site as you want
    - when done for the time being or if you want to see as close to public as you can get,
    - click the DONE in the upper right corner
    - click PUBLISH

Publish is "save and show my site to me privately".

Unveil, a different button altogether, is the final cliff to fall off of. Just don't go there. :D

As you edit each section of your site (homepage, entire site, all folders, etc.), you will need to make sure the theme you are working in, has been applied to each. If you open one of the sections and see the wrong theme, then navigate in the Theme tab, down to the bottom to your saved themes. Click to apply the one you want. Then DONE/PUBLISH again. Once you've applied the same theme to all parts of your site, then DONE/PUBLISH will be a good way to work.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    Forgot to say, as you will see, there's still a bar at the top after publishing. You can't remove that before you unveil.

Also, once you unveil, "publish" WILL publish to the public.