Options

Need some advise from some action sport hpotog's

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited November 9, 2013 in Sports
As some of you know I shoot a lot of ATV motocross. One of the race teams from a series I shoot (not the full schedule, probably about half the events) has asked if I wanted to be there team photog for the 2014 season. I respond by saying I was interested and would like to talk about some of the details.
Id like some ideas about what info I should as him, should I offer him a price per event, shoot x amount of shots for him for that price? Team photos? Rider photos? Maybe provide him with x amount of images per rider per event for a certain fee? Any ideas?
I know there are a handful of guys here that shoot motocross, help me out.
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2013
    If you want to be compensated fairly for this, you need to work out an agreement where you get paid in advance. The other business model - shoot, upload to smugmug, email the link, pray for sales - will not compensate you fairly, if at all. If this is just for fun and any orders are just gravy or ego boosting, it's the easiest way to do it, but it's probably not worth your time, and the "exposure" for your business is pretty minimal. I've elaborated on this here.

Ideally the event coordinator would pay you a flat fee per hour of shooting and pass the cost along to the participants buried in the registration fee. If it's too late to do that, you may be SOL unless the event is profitable enough already.

Let us know how it goes, good luck.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2013
    You need to come to a clear understanding of what they want from a team photographer. How many events and where (travel?). What types of images they want or need. What will they do with the images? (that will impact what you shoot, for example, if you discover they are looking to create a yearly album). Then figure out how much time this is going to take you, what expenses you'll have, and what profit or hourly rate you want. Your deliverables need defined, but they will likely be fully processed hi-res JPG files.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2013
    What would being paid in advance have to do with anything? I mentioned that We wanted to work out some sort of deal prior, not shoot and hope he buys. Doing that is not an option if I were to be his team photog. As long as we work out a deal both of us agree upon I don't see how being paid prior is warranted.
    Maybe I wasn't clear but this is not the event promoter or coordinator who is interested in my services it is a company that fields a race team in the series.
    I usually attend about half of the events on the season schedule, I have sponsored riders that I photograph as well as shooting the event and selling the images on my Smugmug site. So unless the team would like me to attend more events figuring in travel expenses is out. I agree Bill, I need to find out what they are looking for as far as the amount, type and use of the images. Bill, as I said I attend these events anyway and this company knows that so other then edit/process time I think asking for time incurred at the event would something they wouldn't go for.
    I really need to find out what they want before I can give them some sort of fee but wanted some ideas on what I should ask.
    D300s D90

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2013
    Sorry, I didn't mean paid in advance, I meant that you should agree on a fee in advance, in writing or email.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2013
    I don't know anything about motocross but this sounds more like business to me. You need to figure out what they might want ahead of time. And what it is worth to them. And why they want YOU. You say you sponsor riders, well maybe they are looking for you to pay them and not the other way around. Maybe one of the girls on the team has the hots for you. Who knows???

You are in a good position. It seems they need you and you don't need them. So whatever rate you were thinking about, double it. And having been a successful "freelancer" for 14 years myself I can advise you with certainty than being paid in advance is NEVER a bad idea.

If you cannot guess in advance then do a lot of listening when you meet. Your basic position is that your schedule is full but you are prepared to listen and consider. Good luck. The sky is the limit ... (and never ever work for time and materials, you are a creative genius!)
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2013
    No problem Jack, thats what I was thinking too, writing or email.

Lol, Chris if they are looking to get paid from ME they are barking up the wrong tree, lol.
    Yes they obviously want me for a reason. as we all can agree I just need to find out exactly what they are looking for.
    ….I'm saying being paid in advance is a bad idea.
    D300s D90