Options

Tweaking the "smugmug" gallery style

zubenelgenubizubenelgenubi Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited November 11, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi all,

I have been tweaking my new-smugmug site at http://zubenelgenubi.smugmug.com and for the most part I'm very happy with the way it looks and works. But one last issue is now bugging me.

I do like the general concept of the "smugmug" gallery style, with a panel for thumbnails next to a large single photo. But I can't find a way to tweak this style (or build something similar from scratch that is closer to what I really want.)

Specifically, I would like to change the layout so that essentially ALL of the available screen real-estate is used by the thumbnails and highlighted image. Currently, the layout engine is reserving a substantial portion of the screen to display the (quite large) comments box, and there are large empty borders between the thumbnails and highlighted image. Since smugmug is supposed to be about the photos, I would prefer it if my photos are rendered as large as possible on my users' screens. I think it's fine for the style to include the comment box - but I would prefer it didn't occupy so much screen space during normal photo browsing. It would be better (IMHO) if the comment box is "off the bottom" of the default screen, so the users have to scroll down to use it. This would give more room for photos. (The navigation and social media buttons are small enough that they could - and probably should - remain visible without needing a scroll-down to see them.)

Similarly, despite having selected the "stretchy" and "fill height" layout options, I am still getting a lot of unused space between the thumbnails and the featured image. So I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce this margin?

I have used some CSS code that I found in support forums etc to achieve things like rounded corners, borders, and drop shadows on the thumbnails and highlighted image. Could that be affecting the layout?

Finally...I wish I knew how all the gurus out there KNOW what commands and properties are available to tweak with CSS? Clearly there's a whole galaxy of smugmug-specific style elements that can be tweaked - but is there a user guide to these elements somewhere, so I can see what other goodies might be possible? I don't even know what the names of these elements are...

Thanks in advance for any help and advice...

Comments