Thinking About Making The Switch

BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited December 18, 2005 in Cameras
Well I've been shooting digital for quite some time now, probably 3 years. I'm just under 18 and have been using my Sony F717 for about a year and a half. I've really had some thoughts of buying a digital SLR. I plan on getting a new camera before spring time and spending roughly $1000-1500 for it. The thing I'm torn about is if I should stick with the digital and buy the new Sony R1 or get and DSLR. If a DSLR what kind? What lenses for sports and portraits? Any input?
Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    Well I've been shooting digital for quite some time now, probably 3 years. I'm just under 18 and have been using my Sony F717 for about a year and a half. I've really had some thoughts of buying a digital SLR. I plan on getting a new camera before spring time and spending roughly $1000-1500 for it. The thing I'm torn about is if I should stick with the digital and buy the new Sony R1 or get and DSLR. If a DSLR what kind? What lenses for sports and portraits? Any input?
    wait till spring/summer for the Canon 20D replacement to come out. buy a used 20D, a 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM, a 70-200 f/4L and you'll be set for a long time to come. also get a 50 f/1.8 thumb.gif

just my .02thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    wait till spring/summer for the Canon 20D replacement to come out. buy a used 20D, a 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM, a 70-200 f/4L and you'll be set for a long time to come. also get a 50 f/1.8 thumb.gif

just my .02thumb.gif

That's a good 2 cents, but it doesn't get him shooting soon. Look at this:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/325309

Offer the guy $1500 or less. Sounds like he'll take it.
    If not now, when?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 17, 2005
    You can find a couple of cameras in that price range. Both the Rebel XT and
    20D fall into that range. If you shop for a used camera, you might find a
    better deal.

DanielB's advice is good. If you can wait, the price might be better (or you
    might get a great rebate).

Good luck with your decision!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    the reason i chose those lenses is because the 50mm is great for portraits, the 70-200 is what you want for sports. and the 28-105 us a fantastic walk-around lense with 'L' quality pictures.

what i said is what i've experienced. i too am a young photographer, at an age of 14, that advice was the best i can give. good luck shooting.

and keep up the workthumb.gif

daniel
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Well it goes without saying that you have to reach your own decision; we can't do it for you. You have enough experience with your existing camera to enable you to make the right one. If you haven’t done so yet I’d read the review on the R1 at dpreview.

Some questions you need to ask yourself. 1) Would you be happy with the maximum focal length of the R1? I’d guess not if you want to do sport. If your current 190mm equivalent isn’t enough then you can stop here. 2) What sports do you want to shoot? If you need a long fast lens that alone could blow your budget. 3) Do you have the patience to start with 1 or 2 lenses and add more later, or will it drive you crazy. 4) How will you output your images? If you want to do large prints or want to pixel peep at 100% you’ll need good lenses. If you only want to print small and not crop much the cheaper lenses may be enough.

If you decide to go the DSLR route, and I think you will, then look at systems not just cameras. Once you buy into lenses for one brand it is costly to change.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Brett,

My advice is: don't do it unless you or your family has deep pockets. It seems all well and good to get a DSLR, but it's a money pit, my friend. A black hole of greed, lust and avarice. You will always find something else you need...really, really need for that monkey on your back.

If you have the money to spare, however, go for it. It's great fun. And you will be much happier in the long run, I believe. As happy as one can be living in a cardboard box, since they've spent all of their money on camera equipment....
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops