Former link to "galleries" now shows "Page Not Found"?

ajavaajava Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited November 18, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'm just now getting around to making the jump to using the NEW smugmug. Currently, my "main" site is through WordPress, but I'd LOVE (and always would've preferred) to have everything over here at SM. Now that I can create a blog, I'm going to give it a go.

But here's the issue: If you go to my site as it is now (www.winterwoodphotography.com) and click "My Work", the link you're taken to is this:
http://www.ajava.smugmug.com/galleries

I'm trying to create a menu in the NEW SM and when I add that custom URL to the newly added menu item called "My work", it says "Page Not Found". Why is it doing that? Do galleries behave differently in the new world?

Comments

• ajavaajava Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2013
    Hmmm, it seems that "galleries" are now "folders"? Or something like that? I just changed the link to ajava.smugmug.com/browse and it takes me to where you'd formerly have been taken to "galleries".
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited November 9, 2013
    You had a customization in legacy smug to create a galleries page. That customization doesn't move to the new smug.

You can use the /browse page.
    Or you can create your own page containing folders (and galleries).

If you look at my site, my "gallery" page is a page I created, selecting the folders that you see to display.

--- Denise
    edited November 9, 2013
    Thanks, Denise...getting a little clearer now. I'm trying to equate apples to apples between my legacy and my new - that's throwing me. Look at the attached. This is what you get now, if you click on "My Work" in the nav menu, and it's hooked to ajava.smugmug.com/browse. Now I'd like users to be able to click on one of the folders shown and be taken to the available galleries within each folder. But when I click on them, nothing happens. What obvious thing am I missing?

Smug NEW Folders.jpg
    edited November 9, 2013
    ajava wrote: »
    Thanks, Denise...getting a little clearer now. I'm trying to equate apples to apples between my legacy and my new - that's throwing me. Look at the attached. This is what you get now, if you click on "My Work" in the nav menu, and it's hooked to ajava.smugmug.com/browse. Now I'd like users to be able to click on one of the folders shown and be taken to the available galleries within each folder. But when I click on them, nothing happens. What obvious thing am I missing?
    You're not missing anything obvious - and you're not the only person who has encountered this. I think your page doesn't include a galleries content element.

Go to Customize site... Customize. Click on All Folders. Make sure that page has both a Folders and a Galleries content element on it. If it doesn't have one of them, drag the missing element from Navigation onto that page. The screen shot below shows that my All Folder has two elements on it, a folders element and a galleries element. The folders element shows as empty because the folder I was showing when I went into customization only contains galleries.

i-MvHcXdw-XL.jpg

Although you do have two boxes on that screen shot... I can't tell what the second one is though. Do you have a folders box and a galleries box? Or?

--- Denise
    edited November 10, 2013
    I don't understand. If the folders I have displayed contain galleries, shouldn't those galleries automatically show, when clicked? The folders are displaying photos associated with galleries, so it IS linked in some way. I'm having a tough time understanding how this works. Yet it seems like it should be so simple. I just watched the hour-long video on the NEW SM and it seems I have everything organized the right way (in terms of hierarchies)...yet nothing works as I expect it should. Any other resources that you know of that I can reference?
    edited November 10, 2013
    I don't understand. If the folders I have displayed contain galleries, shouldn't those galleries automatically show, when clicked? The folders are displaying photos associated with galleries, so it IS linked in some way. I'm having a tough time understanding how this works. Yet it seems like it should be so simple. I just watched the hour-long video on the NEW SM and it seems I have everything organized the right way (in terms of hierarchies)...yet nothing works as I expect it should. Any other resources that you know of that I can reference?
    The folders will only show the galleries if you have the galleries content element on the All Folders page.

--- Denise
    edited November 10, 2013
    When I add the Galleries element, the page then show Folders at the top AND it also shows every associated gallery at the bottom. I want the galleries to open ONLY if the associated folder is clicked on...do you know what I mean? I think that's how your site worked, if I recall. I'll post a pic...hold on.
    edited November 10, 2013
    I think I just figured it out...you have to choose "Folders, galleries, and pages"...not just "Folders" from the Content Block selection list. Does that sound right to you?
    edited November 10, 2013
    Nope, that didn't do it, either. Still nothing when I click on one of the folders. Ugh.
    edited November 10, 2013
    I think I just figured it out...you have to choose "Folders, galleries, and pages"...not just "Folders" from the Content Block selection list. Does that sound right to you?
    Yes - but I saw your next post saying that didn't work either. I'm not sure what to tell you at this point... It might be worth contacting the help desk to see if they can see the problem and either fix it or tell you how to fix it. Maybe one of the smug heroes will see this thread...

--- Denise
    edited November 10, 2013
    I think maybe something is weird with how my Categories and Galleries are currently set up, in Legacy (which you mentioned earlier). I appreciate your help. I just looked at your page again and it behaves as I would expect - I see your folders (when I click your Gallery menu item), and then if I click a particular folder, the associated galleries then open. Mine just doesn't work that way. I'll contact the Help Desk. Thanks!
  • NLSchoberNLSchober Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2013
    I'm having this problem too. I'm also having trouble trying to show gallery on my home page (the way it used to with a thumbnail)...

schober.smugmug.com
    edited November 16, 2013
    NLSchober wrote: »
    I'm having this problem too. I'm also having trouble trying to show gallery on my home page (the way it used to with a thumbnail)...

schober.smugmug.com
    Have you placed a folders and galleries element on your home page? You should be able to place that element and to select the folders you want to show.

If you want to move your legacy look to the new smug, take a look at this tutorial - http://school.smugmug.com/SmugMug-Tips/Get-the-Legacy-Look.

--- Denise
  • NLSchoberNLSchober Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    No. Instead I chose a template that already had all that.