Options

High School Hockey

wiredcurwiredcur Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited November 12, 2013 in Sports
Taking the feedback from this thread, tried to focus on Aktse's C&C of

General comments:
1) You are underexposed
2) If possible, set white balance at the rink. You can do it in post, but I rather get it right in camera
3) Shoot tight, crop tighter. ALways.
4) In each frame, you want face, action, puck and/or emotion. A photo being just "in focus" isn't going to cut it as a sports photo....

These were shot this past Monday night (11/4/13). These were all shot RAW to give me as much possible leeway in post processing. I was still falling short on exposure, I'm not pushing the ISO enough because I'm hating the graininess. The graininess is really obvious when I fail on shooting tight and end up cropping.

#1 - Didn't shoot tight enough so the graininess shows through in cropping.
DSC_6267-XL.jpg

#2 - Action, Puck - yes, Face - not so much. I liked the composition and flow.
DSC_6460-XL.jpg

DSC_6919-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    Much better. Good exposures, white balance, and cropping. The first one is rather newspaperish and unfortunately the focus seems to be on the rear player, so my eyes go to him right away. 2 is great. For hockey I'd say that's a good face, and it has everything else.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    I agree with Jack. The second shot is the best though I might have removed the goalies blocker but that is a personal decision. Good work. John