Options

Soapstone carving

Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited November 12, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Let's call this a work in progress :wink

I'm having second thoughts on the background treatment, perhaps a little too moody ?

Soapstonewebsize_zpsbcb07c4f.jpg

Cheers, Don

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited November 12, 2013
    I would agree with the too moody part. Either white BG or black BG (and light the piece more)?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2013
    Thanks David,

Throwing more light at it doesn't help :)

The surface is so smooth with concave and convex shapes it's difficult to get an angle on it...

I don't think I'll go any further down the road with that image/processing but it does suggest some creative lighting scenario's for the future.

Apparently the client has a body of work shot with the traditional gray paper/graduated background, I just went veering off on a tangent :)

Not knowing what the properties of the object would be, I set up before the client arrived with a 20" x 20" softbox from directly above, a 2' x 3' softbox camera left and a 48" octobox camera right.

The image below was my first shot. With a new Nikon D7100 and new tethering software BTW :)

Luckily the only setting I missed was Auto WB, easily corrected in post.

Anywho, that is when I lost control of the shoot.

The client was not willing to leave the piece and in the limited time we had we then proceeded on a quest for less highlights and just the right shadows, sigh...

0104_DxOXXwebsize_zpsdc381c2f.jpg

I really would prefer to get it right in camera but I did become more familiar with DxO/Elements 11 editing tools :)

BTW - I come across these types of commissions often enough that I'm finally going to get around to finding a supplier of polarizing film for a set of softboxes...

Cheers, Don