Slideshow only in gallery?

fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited November 16, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi all
I know I can choose to have images displayed as a slideshow by going to Customize>Gallery style.
However, after selecting that option, I couldn't find anyway to customize slideshow controls (speed, transition, and so on).
So I added a Slideshow Content block to the gallery.
And I can now set all slideshow controls at my liking; bum, great!!! :ivar
Uhm............wait :huh
PROBLEM is, now gallery does have a slideshow which controls I can customize but also shows an awkward "Gallery is empty" text just beneath the slideshow itself :wxwax
The thing is when in Customization, the area under the Slideshow block is locked, no way to remove it.
So it seems:
I can have a slideshow ONLY in a gallery but without control over the settings
OR
I can have a controllable slideshow in a gallery but not as the only photo block
Where am I wrong? :scratch

Comments

• thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    Create a page to hold your slideshow content block instead of using an empty gallery. A page is just like a gallery but can't hold photos, so there's no "gallery is empty" box to worry about.
  • fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    Hi Nicholas
    that's it! Thanks, I am still a bit unsure about the difference between galleries and pages (and folders too)! rolleyes1.gif
    Fabio
  • Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    And just to add to this in case someone else misses it. In the page settings be sure to select a Feature Image. It can be from any gallery you choose. This will act as the thumbnail your viewers will see if you use a page display block in a folder. In my experimental sections I've managed to build folders that house pages instead of galleries that look just like the rest of my site, which is all galleries at this time.

For me the main difference I see between a page and a gallery is the latter only displays your photos, while a page can contain a lot of different content. My wedding services page in the signature here is an example. I'm also trying to come up with a means to display some of my best shots.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited November 15, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    ...also trying to come up with a means to display some of my best shots.
    I love the photo on your test page, awesome capture!

--- Denise
    edited November 15, 2013
    I love the photo on your test page, awesome capture!

--- Denise

Thanks! That's my Freja (pronounced "Freya") being herself.
  • fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    ..........This will act as the thumbnail your viewers will see if you use a page display block in a folder.
    Hi Ron
    thanks for your hint!
    Only, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean with your paragraph I quoted.
    I'd like to have a page that lists all my galleries (there will be more to come) displaying a grid of thumbnails. Is that what you mean? If yes how can I create such a page?
    edited November 15, 2013
    Let's see if I can illustrate what I am doing using pages and page blocks.

I wanted to come up with a way to display an individual photo with more than what is currently available in the default gallery mode. Right now you view the thumbs in a gallery. When you click on a thumb it opens the lightbox. I wanted an actual page. One that is similar to the one I linked to above, where I can create just about anything, adding any sort of content block I want. When you click on the image there, it'll open the lightbox.

I then wanted to have a "gallery" of pages. So my site would flow like this: Main Site>Top Folder containing a Page Block>Page with a photo>lightbox.

So l created a Folder, and in it I placed a Page Block. You can configure it to look like a gallery. I use Landscape.

i-fBM8Rkj-L.jpg

In that folder I then create pages, as many as I need.

i-Kb6SPd5-L.jpg

For each page I select a Feature Image. In this test they're all the same image, but for photo pages they'd be the original photo in whatever gallery they reside in. They do not have to be in the same folder.

i-BHNfnTb-L.jpg

My final looks like this.

i-M6FMjpz-L.jpg

The biggest drawback to this is if you wanted to use this on a large site. Because we cannot create page templates, and then copy them, you have to create the content of every page & folder from scratch. I'm hoping that by the time I complete reprocessing all my old work, and scanning all my old portfolio, the ability to do so will be available. Otherwise I'll only do this for very specific portfolio presentations.
    edited November 16, 2013
    fabthi wrote: »
    I'd like to have a page that lists all my galleries (there will be more to come) displaying a grid of thumbnails. Is that what you mean? If yes how can I create such a page?

BTW: You can use the same method to display a collection of folders, or galleries by using which ever block you want. If you create a folder and place all three types of blocks (folders, galleries, pages) on it they only appear if you then create actual folders, galleries, and pages in it.

That sounds confusing. Let's see if I can be more clear.

On my All Folders in the Customizer I have all three types of blocks. These will be on all my folders, except any I've made unique and separate from the rest of the site.

i-9SrNH7N-L.jpg

These blocks will only display content if I create that content in a folder. Here's a folder that while it has all three blocks on it, I only create galleries in it. So only the galleries are visible, and the folders and pages blocks are not.

i-tF3vVGG-L.jpg

So if I create subfolders they'd then appear, as would pages. Is that clear?