Help please

ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
edited November 21, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'm giving up trying to make my site work I would like it to with this new Smugmug.

On my legacy site, I was able to play with the breadcrumb so that users would return to a Galleries page instead of the Home page (which I use for a slideshow).

Is there any way I can mimic this behavior on the new smugmug?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited November 16, 2013
    It's not quite what you are after, but it does remove the home button... See this post in the thread Remove Home Button From Folder Nav.

--- Denise
  • ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    Doesn't help, but thank you for trying. Suspect I'll just leave things as they are. When forced to migrate, I'll just cancel.
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    ghealy wrote: »
    I'm giving up trying to make my site work I would like it to with this new Smugmug.

On my legacy site, I was able to play with the breadcrumb so that users would return to a Galleries page instead of the Home page (which I use for a slideshow).

Is there any way I can mimic this behavior on the new smugmug?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Why not use a Navbar for this purpose? You can place one or more on any page, and you control the links as you want. You could have only one link, for example.
    edited November 19, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Why not use a Navbar for this purpose? You can place one or more on any page, and you control the links as you want. You could have only one link, for example.

Sorry don't quite follow. Do you perchance have an example page I could check out?
    edited November 19, 2013
    Check any of the unveiled sites on this thread for examples:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237680&page=33

Basically, go to Customize your site, and drag in a Navigation/ Menu block.
    Set it wherever you want on the site. Click the wrench icon on the top left green highlighted corner of the block, and set the link(s) to whatever you want. You can remove the 3 default links that SM inserts and replace with only one galleries link.

I may have not understood what you meant - but your "galleries" - that is a specific URL, correct? You can set that link as the only one on this Nav menu.
    edited November 19, 2013
    On the example sites, the navbar is usually the top set of menu links, or the left-bar menu links. You can set a Menu block anywhere on your pages or galleries or folders.
    edited November 20, 2013
    Chancy Rat: Thanks for trying to help. I've seen a few sites that have almost what I want, but none that have what I have in my Legacy site. Mind you, I have learned a bit more from what other have done so may be able to better formulate my questions. In case, I'll try. Again, thanks.
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 675 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2013
    ghealy wrote: »
    ... On my legacy site, I was able to play with the breadcrumb so that users would return to a Galleries page instead of the Home page (which I use for a slideshow). Is there any way I can mimic this behavior on the new smugmug? ...

One thing several people have done is to rearrange their photo database so all the folders and galleries are not at the root level but rather inside a folder with a name like Galleries or Portfolio or Pictures or whatever. The breadcrumb then looks like

(Home-icon) > Galleries > Folder On Some Topic > Eye-popping Gallery

If you want to see an example in action, I've adopted this idea for my site. In my case, the container for the pictures is a folder named "Browse All". Its page is the hub for moving various places on the site.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Check any of the unveiled sites on this thread for examples:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237680&page=33

Basically, go to Customize your site, and drag in a Navigation/ Menu block.
    Set it wherever you want on the site. Click the wrench icon on the top left green highlighted corner of the block, and set the link(s) to whatever you want. You can remove the 3 default links that SM inserts and replace with only one galleries link.

I may have not understood what you meant - but your "galleries" - that is a specific URL, correct? You can set that link as the only one on this Nav menu.

I had to be different....Laughing.gif! I wanted to match the new SM to my existing Wordpress site, so I created my own breadcrumbs. mwink.gif
    edited November 21, 2013
    Thanks Mike & Jim.

Jim: A Question if I may. How did you get your breadcrumb to display the entire path?

i-QqNbXfm-L.jpg

If I click on a gallery within Photography, I end up with some sort of icon where MyGallery should be.

i-xrdrdBP-L.jpg

The MyGalleries shown above is only seen if I hover my mouse over the icon.

Yet if I check out your site and go down an equivalent level, I see this breadcrumb.

i-3p3PpZN-M.jpg

Any thoughts?
    edited November 21, 2013
    Found my answer!!! It s in Customize Site --> All Galleries - Breadcrumb - Toggle Full breadcrumb = ON.

Thanks everyone for the help.