Options

Collared Dove

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 27, 2013 in Wildlife
I managed these couple of shots of a Collared Dove yesterday at our reserve. C&C always welcome.
Bob
Collar%20Dove%202-X3.jpg
Collar%20Dove%20%281%29-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2013
    Lovely photos of a beautiful bird! I love the second one especially. There might be a little bit of noise that you could clean up in the background.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    Lovely photos of a beautiful bird! I love the second one especially. There might be a little bit of noise that you could clean up in the background.
    Thanks ever so much Pam I will have see if I can get rid of the noise without making the subject too soft.
    Bob
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    Thanks ever so much Pam I will have see if I can get rid of the noise without making the subject too soft.
    Bob

If you have Lightroom, (or probably in other programs too), you can reduce the noise just on the background without touching the main subject. Or in photoshop you can put a completely de-noised layer on top of the current one, and then let the sharp subject show through by painting a mask over the smooth layer. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    If you have Lightroom, (or probably in other programs too), you can reduce the noise just on the background without touching the main subject. Or in photoshop you can put a completely de-noised layer on top of the current one, and then let the sharp subject show through by painting a mask over the smooth layer. Best, Pam

Hi Pam
    I don't have Lightroom. I use CS5. I apologise as I don't know how to go about putting a de-noised layer over the original image. I really would appreciate Pam if you could take me through this step by step as it sounds great.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2013
    Hi Pam
    I don't have Lightroom. I use CS5. I apologise as I don't know how to go about putting a de-noised layer over the original image. I really would appreciate Pam if you could take me through this step by step as it sounds great.
    Cheers
    Bob
    use a layer MASK
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=20026&postcount=1
    instead of hue saturation layer , simply duplicate your layer and apply de-noise
    paint your dove black on the mask layer ( select the white icon) and leave the background white
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2013
    basflt wrote: »
    use a layer MASK
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=20026&postcount=1
    instead of hue saturation layer , simply duplicate your layer and apply de-noise
    paint your dove black on the mask layer ( select the white icon) and leave the background white

Thanks Basfit, I will try that.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    Thanks Basfit, I will try that.
    Cheers
    Bob

Hi Basfit,
    I painted the dove black on a duplicate layer and changed the black square to white and then what do I do? Are you suggesting I have the background totally white? Or is this for demo purpose?
    Thanks again
    Bob
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    you dont paint on the duplicate layer , but on the layer MASK
    maybe this will help

http://youtu.be/Y3sF7z2hgR0

-apply noise filter on layer image
    -select the mask ( white icon )
    invert ( ctrl+i )
    -paint on the noisy background ( mask still selected ) with a white brush

- tip
    use ctrl+click on the mask-icon to see what you did
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    basflt wrote: »
    you dont paint on the duplicate layer , but on the layer MASK
    maybe this will help

http://youtu.be/Y3sF7z2hgR0

-apply noise filter on layer image
    -select the mask ( white icon )
    invert ( ctrl+i )
    -paint on the noisy background ( mask still selected ) with a white brush

- tip
    use ctrl+click on the mask-icon to see what you did

Hi Basfit, I sincerely apologise for being so stupid I have again tried and have also looked at the youtube demo but I am having problems. If I can itemise what I am doing you may be able to tell me where I am going wrong.
    1. I duplicate my image and then make a new layer mask. I then click on the new layer mask and then select - Filter and then Noise and then Reduce Noise which produces a drop down of the details on reducing the noise.
    I now find I am unable to use a brush tool with this dialogue showing.
    I really am having problems with these masks etc.
    Is it at all possible for you to itemise the steps for me as once I have done it correctly I will be up and off.
    Cheers
    Bob