Options

Custom Header by Category

FritzFritz Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited November 18, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Trying to have a custom header in the new Smugmug that changes based on the Catagory.

Any ideas?

http://www.brucefratto.com/HorseRacing

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2013
    It is not possible to do this currently in new SM. There have been multiple requests to be able to set different folder settings. I'm not sure of the threads on DG but someone may post them.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2013
    Without page class names flowing down like this would be almost impossible.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239444
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2013
    One thing you can do to distinguish different categories is to create different themes. Your site wide structure will stay the same, so you have to design your header logo, menu layouts, footer, etc., to go with any theme you create. Then, you have to separate the folder, gallery, and pages from the site-wide customization. Be sure to add the same, or at least pertinent, CSS to the advanced tab to your various themes. Currently I have two public themes, one I created at the beginning of setting up the new site, and one I'm using for wedding galleries. I'm working on test themes now in non-public galleries.

That CSS flowdown in folders would be a great feature to have! At least, as long as it was an option. I'd not want everything to flow down from site-wide to my variations, but I would like the parent folder of the different section to flow down from there.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2013
    I haven't voted for enhancements in awhile. This gets all my votes. I like a personal friends / family banner telling them it is private. Or a splash banner for Derby pics. I can live without it; however, loved having it in the old code.

Custom themes sounds like a work around but sounds like selection for every gallery. Not my idea of clean code but thanks for brainstorming some ideas.
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2013
    I can now set my banner/logo different for an individual page, folder or gallery, but you have to do
    every one of them.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2013
    Setting it up once is not a big concern. The bigger challenge is if you decide to change within that category. . . All would have to change. No global replacement.

Can I get a few votes from this team?

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/5013883-custom-banner-or-header-based-on-category