I need a little help...My first Wedding!!!??

ADCPhotoADCPhoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited November 21, 2013 in Weddings
Ok I have just started to get into the photography about 3 mths ago....I have been asked to do a friends wedding this coming sat. I said yes. I did her bridal photos and she loved them!!! The wedding is going to be outside ....if it doesn't rain....Is there anything that I need to keep in mind when I am shooting a wedding. I want any tips or tricks to keep in mind.

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    You just started getting into photography 3 months ago and are going to do a friend's wedding? Advice -- don't.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    Hold on, lemme grab my popcorn.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 18, 2013
    The fact that you are asking how to shoot a wedding speaks volumes. The fact that your friends wedding is less than a week away and they don't have a photographer set up also speaks volumes.

Tell your friend that you are not a pro wedding photographer and couldn't give them pro quality results. If they still want to use your services, it will be an informed decision on their part. Everybody has to start somewhere but with three months under your belt, I feel you'd be doing a disservice to your friends. It would be like putting a disposable camera on each table for the guests to use then saying you shot their wedding.

Not trying to disrespect you but you just don't have the experience to shoot weddings. Many pro photographers work as a second shooter for years to gain experience and knowledge.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    ADCPhoto wrote: »
    Ok I have just started to get into the photography about 3 mths ago....I have been asked to do a friends wedding this coming sat. I said yes. I did her bridal photos and she loved them!!! The wedding is going to be outside ....if it doesn't rain....Is there anything that I need to keep in mind when I am shooting a wedding. I want any tips or tricks to keep in mind.

I see this is your first post. Do you own a flack jacket? If your serious about photography and learning to be a better photographer you will need that flack jacket and some perseverance.

Here is my recommendation. Post a list of your gear. Post a few of the bridal images your friend was happy with. Post more info about the wedding. Will there be 10 people or 200 people there? Will it be a church wedding? Are you being paid?

Most, myself included will advise against being the primary photographer after only 3 months total photography experience.

There are many, many reasons for this recommendation.

Now you have a choice, you can run away from the mean people who won't tell you what you want to hear, or you can bite the bullet and find out the facts and rational for our recommendations.

Sam
  • DWSDWS Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    ADCPhoto, I don't often post here, but do check in quite often. What others are telling you is very sound advice, and has been constructively stated thus far. At some point, we all shoot our first event, but unless this is a wedding with no true expectations of what the bridal couple will receive, I would seriously reconsider.
    D800, D3s, D700, D300, D40 and a boatload of glass
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2013
    In all seriousness what Sam said. Let's see what you can do, post some images, your gear and expectations of the outcome. Hopefully we can help you make an educated decisison on this. Those of us who have shot weddings professionally know what it takes to do it right. We only get one chance and judging by the few details you've posted you are likely not ready for this commitment. Who knows, perhaps you'll knock our socks off with your images.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2013
    I too am in agreement that hey, everybody has to shoot their first wedding. I shot my first wedding only a few months after picking up my first DSLR, and it was literally one of my first-ever portrait sessions, period. The couple simply couldn't have afforded anything more than me, and there were many more such couples after that. And I turned out alright!

So, instead of saying "run for the hills!" because your experience level isn't high enough in some people's opinion, I say give it all you've got and also, help us help you by narrowing down some specific questions or concerns you might have, or post a couple of your previous portraits and we can provide some encouraging feedback.

Thanks for posting!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2013
    I would be very clear to the bride and anyone else involved in getting you to shoot their wedding photos that you are not a photographer with any wedding experience and would be happy to attend and take some photos but do not in any way, shape or form wish to be their exclusive (professional) photographer. What they say now and how they feel later can change. Especially after a couple of Moms look over the photos. It's ok to get a little practice but not at the experience of some ones wedding day. While they may think you are capable of pulling off the job only you know for sure. Maybe you could find some one with some wedding experience to help shoot the important stuff.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    I think we got trolled, folks.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    Foques wrote: »
    I think we got trolled, folks.

x2
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.