Options

Standing Down

davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited December 21, 2005 in Holy Macro
For the sake of my family, personal needs and aspirations and other various reasons, I have decided to hang up the helmet, put away the boots and, for now, put down my wings. It was a terribly difficult decision to make, as being a part of the USAF has been challenging, rewarding and amazing. I've met some of the greatest people, all the while meeting some of the worst-- and learning so much about people. I've flown over 400,000 miles, over 1200 hours and with speeds exceeding 750 MPH. I've been over every state in the US (including Alaska and Hawaii), over Guam, Japan, Thailand, Australia.. My longest flight was over 22.5 hours, one from which my bum still hurts :huh So I'll take my place now as one of many who's life has been touched by the B-52, whether for good or for bad, and delight in knowing I was once a part of it all. Flying is in the very fibre of my soul so I can't be away from it long; however, this time around it'll be bouncing around in my own plane, probably with my camera in one hand, the yoke in another. There is another Ryan on this great website who is in the USAF-- and to him, I wish him the best. And as I like to say after every flight-- Over 50 years, and still doing it in the Buff. And as for the USAF and all who sail in her-- I say Goodbye and Good Luck.

Former Bomber Baron,

Ryan, Civilian (Select), USAF

48603676-M.jpg

47993977-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Very moving post and shots.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Thusie wrote:
    Very moving post and shots.

i agree, a very moving story. the 1st shot made me think," this owuld be outstanding in B&W conversion", and the second one made me wonder how many people were in that explosion area....
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited December 17, 2005
    Daniel-- no one has ever been hurt or killed as a result of my missions. I suppose I'm one of the luck few who never had to do such a thing. There are those in this profession that find satisfaction and even delight in getting "one of the bad guys." I make a point not to judge one way or another.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Hi David
    davidryan wrote:
    For the sake of my family, personal needs and aspirations and other various reasons, I have decided to hang up the helmet, put away the boots and, for now, put down my wings. It was a terribly difficult decision to make, as being a part of the USAF has been challenging, rewarding and amazing. I've met some of the greatest people, all the while meeting some of the worst-- and learning so much about people. I've flown over 400,000 miles, over 1200 hours and with speeds exceeding 750 MPH. I've been over every state in the US (including Alaska and Hawaii), over Guam, Japan, Thailand, Australia.. My longest flight was over 22.5 hours, one from which my bum still hurts eek7.gif So I'll take my place now as one of many who's life has been touched by the B-52, whether for good or for bad, and delight in knowing I was once a part of it all. Flying is in the very fibre of my soul so I can't be away from it long; however, this time around it'll be bouncing around in my own plane, probably with my camera in one hand, the yoke in another. There is another Ryan on this great website who is in the USAF-- and to him, I wish him the best. And as I like to say after every flight-- Over 50 years, and still doing it in the Buff. And as for the USAF and all who sail in her-- I say Goodbye and Good Luck.

Former Bomber Baron,

Ryan, Civilian (Select), USAF

Gosh what a decision to make, to give up the thing in life you are so passionate about .... I bet it was not an easy decision to make either.

What a thrill it must be to be up in a B-52 and feel the G Force in the cabin.....awwwwww and man the view........gawwwwwwwd, I imagine you have seen some of the most awesome sights from up there too.

I love that second shot you posted David (I like the first one too)
    That is an amazing shot.

To be at peace with your decision is what counts, may you enjoy your retirement to the fullest David, all the Best....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    To be at peace with your decision is what counts, may you enjoy your retirement to the fullest David, all the Best....... Skippy (Australia)

15524779-Ti.gif

clap.gifclapclap.gif One can always count on Skippy to say things just right.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    Thanks Skippy and Thusie-- it was a difficult choice to make. And I should mention-- technically, I'm not retired. I'm only 26. But I'm a 26 y/o who wants to spend every night with my wife and not in the cockpit of a cold 1960's era jet. Flying is amazing. One of the few times man can truly defy and break nearly every law of nature, which in some way, frees you to a height, figuratively and literally, few ever reach. I will fly again-- and I imagine I'll fly a lot-- but on my own time and by my choice. I love the USAF-- but when it comes down to it, if they order me to go half way around the world, you leave tomorrow, then it happens. Also, the operations tempo has become a major strain for many in the DoD. Many leave simply because they see no end in sight and don't want life to pass them by while chasing down some insurgent in a foreign land, in the dark, without anyone to help you. God bless and help those who carry on-- but I did my time and my time needs to slow down a bit.

Daniel and I have been mailing back and forth my latest photo. Here is what I've come up with-- is it an improvement?

48789287-M.jpg
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    davidryan wrote:
    Daniel and I have been mailing back and forth my latest photo. Here is what I've come up with-- is it an improvement?

48789287-M.jpg

hell yeah it isthumb.gif lol. i like the font you used for the name. if i had a choice. i would frame this and put it in my room!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    No, I like the first version much better. You didn't serve in WWI or the civil war and sepia isn't doing it for me.

I think you can improve it if you can manage to get more contrast into the boots and make them stand out from the background better. Might try shadow/highlight in LAB. There are just TONS of tricks. Post an full res original to the Digital Darkroom forum and I'll bet you'll get some great help.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Sad to see you leave the Buff family. I hope you have a great life on the civilian side. Thanks for helping us keep the B-52 in the air. As long as you guys fly them there will always be all of us mechanics to help keep them going.

#2 is my favorite just remindes me of why I work on those engines is to keep them up in the air and protecting our nation and all other allied nations safe.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited December 19, 2005
    It's an interesting photo. The sepia shot is a nice one.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Aviator327Aviator327 Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    I like #2 acft banking to the left. Around 16,000 ft maybe?
    CANON 1D 10D 40D
    EF50MM 1.4
    EF50MM 1.8 MKI
    EF28-135MM IS USM
    EF 17-40MM F4L
    EF 70-200MM f4L
    CANON 580EX
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    DavidRyan, they are both great shots. I like the sepia tone, even if the photo isn't old.

Thank you for serving our country!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Hand salute sir, from one vet to another. Sometimes I think only another vet can understand the bittersweet moment of transitioning to civilian life. It was a joy and a sacrifice to have served for the greatest country human civilization ever created. But be comforted in knowing that there are more just like you taking their turn in your old seat. This country will go down in history for its wealth but the most precious asset this country ever had was the quality of those who served it. Your new mission is family. Carry on.
    www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    I really like the first one also....It just slaps ya.......if you could reshoot and use a slave strobe behind the boots just to boost separation a bit....but hell I like it the way it is....YEAH....great story also......thumb.gif Good Luck!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    Murphy66 wrote:
    Hand salute sir, from one vet to another. Sometimes I think only another vet can understand the bittersweet moment of transitioning to civilian life. It was a joy and a sacrifice to have served for the greatest country human civilization ever created. But be comforted in knowing that there are more just like you taking their turn in your old seat. This country will go down in history for its wealth but the most precious asset this country ever had was the quality of those who served it. Your new mission is family. Carry on.

Thank you for the kind words and the understanding. Today was a bit of a milestone for me. I went to one of the briefings one must get before we can be released from the USAF and I went in civies!!!! Freaky!!!! I looked good, actually-- I make quite the good looking Mr. Ha! I'm kidding, sheesh.:D

On a more sober note-- when I left the base today to come home, I felt somehow disconnected from it all. I guess in my psyche, my mind has already begun its own seperation process. It was sad yet comforting both at the same time.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Ryan

Anyone here living in Colorado Springs?? That's my new home!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Thanks for serving and protecting us all these years Ryan, we really appreciate it. Good luck on your next phase, you and your family deserve to have you home for a change.

As for the picture, what strikes me the most is the red of the scarf...perhaps with some photoshop time, you could make it b&w, but keep the scarf, maybe the helmet too, in color....just a screwball thought.

Chip
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    davidryan wrote:
    Anyone here living in Colorado Springs?? That's my new home!

I lived just north of there in parker before I came in. Have fun out there and hope you see some pictures from the canyon.

Have a great last few Air Force days.
    Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    Papy wrote:
    I lived just north of there in parker before I came in. Have fun out there and hope you see some pictures from the canyon.

Have a great last few Air Force days.
    Ryan

Ryan-- ironically, I got promoted today. Typical Air Force! Too little too late, huh?

Speaking of Parker-- have you been there recently? My wife was raised in Parker-- maybe you know her-- she graduated in 1997. Anyway, Parker has had a population explosion. Some of the houses being put up there are unreal. Mansions-- rows and rows of them. I have no IDEA how people can live like that and not be completely broke. Who knows-- maybe they are-- and I can buy their foreclosed house in a year or so :D

49107420-M.jpg

I did this a few years back for a contest-- it was disqualed by some wound-up-too-tight public affairs captain-- she claimed the USAF symbol was not in a prominent place and that stratofortress shouldn't be split up. I told her to ... well nevermind. In the top most photo, I'm the guy in the center.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    I was there earlyer this year. That is funny that you got promoted right before you leave but congradulations. I might know her but there are so many people in parker now its probly a distant shot. Did she graduate from ponderosa high school.

I like that picture especialy the theme of it. To bad you were told it wasent usable.

Here is one I did for our museum, It is a poster I made for modle buff my shop made for the museum. Took us about 6 mounths to get all the bad parts to be able to make it.
    34863571-L.jpg

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    Papy wrote:
    I was there earlyer this year. That is funny that you got promoted right before you leave but congradulations. I might know her but there are so many people in parker now its probly a distant shot. Did she graduate from ponderosa high school.

I like that picture especialy the theme of it. To bad you were told it wasent usable.

Here is one I did for our museum, It is a poster I made for modle buff my shop made for the museum. Took us about 6 mounths to get all the bad parts to be able to make it.
    34863571-L.jpg

Ryan

I have seen this model before when I was there at the 11th.

My wife went to Ponderosa High-- again, grad of 97. her first name is carrie.