Help loading very small image

3PCo3PCo Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited November 20, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I am trying to upload a very small image: 90 x 29 pixels (I'm goofing around trying to make another Facebook button). It seems to upload fine, but when I look at it, the system has taken only the middle part of it. If I try to place the picture on a page, it shows a square, roughly 29 x 29, corresponding to the central part of my rectangular image. The thumbnail for the image looks rectangular, but on closer inspection, it is just the middle part of my image stretched into a rectangle. A link to the image is: http://www.pillarpointposter.com/Website-Assets/Resources/n-b737v/i-Cd7SsMv/A.
So, is this a bug, or is there a trick to uploading small images, or am I trying to operate below some unspoken limit?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
af

Comments

• ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2013
    3PCo wrote: »
    I am trying to upload a very small image: 90 x 29 pixels (I'm goofing around trying to make another Facebook button). It seems to upload fine, but when I look at it, the system has taken only the middle part of it. If I try to place the picture on a page, it shows a square, roughly 29 x 29, corresponding to the central part of my rectangular image. The thumbnail for the image looks rectangular, but on closer inspection, it is just the middle part of my image stretched into a rectangle. A link to the image is: http://www.pillarpointposter.com/Website-Assets/Resources/n-b737v/i-Cd7SsMv/A.
    So, is this a bug, or is there a trick to uploading small images, or am I trying to operate below some unspoken limit?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
    af

Are you uploading it as a basic photo block? If so, try changing the setting to "original". I have uploaded very tiny photos successfully so I know it can be done. Depending on the size you choose, there are then other options that appear.
  • 3PCo3PCo Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2013
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, I've tried changing the setting (original, small, etc) when placing the image, but it comes out square. Then, when I look in the gallery to which it was uploaded (link above), it seems the material from both ends has been truncated.
    edited November 19, 2013
    You set the Photo Size to original?
    (Not the Photo Aspect Ratio?)
    Are you uploading a photo, or some other content block?
    edited November 19, 2013
    I know this is possible because I've uploaded an image as small as 25 x 20 px, and used it as a background image, where size also has to be set.
    edited November 19, 2013
    Hi.
    Yes, I'm loading a photo block. I've set the aspect ratio to Original, and Ive tried a number of size settings, including Custom, which I filled in to 90 x 29. I wonder if this is one of SM's famous glitches that come and go. But it;s not working for me today.
    edited November 19, 2013
    I think we may be barking up the wrong tree here, as we are talking about positioning the image. But I am seeing this truncation as soon as I upload to a gallery, before I specify size, aspect ratio, etc.
    edited November 19, 2013
    And if you open the image on your desktop, in something like Photoshop, you see a correct image?
    edited November 19, 2013
    Wait - the gallery that you are looking at the photo in - 2 questions:
    - Do you have the settings to Show Original, or as Square? (Fix this to original by going to organize site, find the gallery, click the settings icon, Adjust Thumbnails, select all if you want this to apply to all images, and then choose Original.
    (On my site, all the galleries in Legacy were set to original, but from what I see in New, they might have defaulted to Square.) I think you have to set this setting gallery by gallery.
    - Then, in the gallery where you are viewing this image, when you open it in lightbox, on the lower right corner do you see the icon for size? Can you choose original? Does this change what you see on the screen?
    edited November 19, 2013
    I really appreciate that you are trying to help me.
    I had the icons set to square (the default, you are right) in the gallery that I uploaded to. Changing this to Original had no effect. When I open it in Lightbox, the only size option I see is Fill. When I tried to place the image on a page, there were other options available, and I tried Original, but that did not work, as I described previously.
    edited November 19, 2013
    Also, in photoshop, the image looks fine.
    edited November 20, 2013
    Mr Chancyrat, this is very strange. This morning, as I went to write a help request to SM, I went back to my gallery to upload a link to the problem file. Lo and behold, the image was complete!. I loaded this image 3 times over the past several days: yesterday all 3 were truncated, today all 3 appear complete. Smugmug's system seems to have a LOT of trouble handling the large load of images it must see, and I've often seen a delay in my files appearing after upload. But this is the first time I've seen them truncated, and certainly the first time it ever took 3 days to straighten itslef out.
    Anyways, I want to thank you again for the help you offered!
    af
    edited November 20, 2013
    Good to know, I was next going to say contact SM help!