Options

CSS tweaks - where exactly??

fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited November 22, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi all
As we all do, I added some CSS portions of code to customize my website.
Only, I am not sure I understand the difference between pasting it into
Entire Site>Content>On Entire Site>CSS
OR
Entire Site>Content>Theme>Active Theme>Wrench>Edit Theme-Advanced>CSS
I did try to paste the same code alternatively on both locations and it doesn't seem to make any difference :scratch, but I'm sure there should be a RIGHT place depending on the type of code and the customization required.
Thanks

Fabio

Comments

• Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    I can see where having CSS to target specific pages should be placed in a CSS block directly on a folder, gallery, or page. For site-wide I prefer to place them all in the theme's advanced CSS. This has given me a lot of flexibility to make changes, and create additional themes. When I first started making the new site, I used to place CSS blocks on the entire site level. Then I started putting them on other pages, and even placed a few in the theme CSS. It became a confusing mess in no time!

Having general CSS affects in the theme makes it easier to create additional themes. All you have to do is copy/paste the codes to a new theme to maintain a similar look between your color schemes. Of course, minor tweaks are needed, like changing link hover colors, etc..
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    I can see where having CSS to target specific pages should be placed in a CSS block directly on a folder, gallery, or page. For site-wide I prefer to place them all in the theme's advanced CSS. This has given me a lot of flexibility to make changes, and create additional themes. When I first started making the new site, I used to place CSS blocks on the entire site level. Then I started putting them on other pages, and even placed a few in the theme CSS. It became a confusing mess in no time!

Having general CSS affects in the theme makes it easier to create additional themes. All you have to do is copy/paste the codes to a new theme to maintain a similar look between your color schemes. Of course, minor tweaks are needed, like changing link hover colors, etc..
    So your saying, in principle, this
    is the best option?
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2013
    For me, yes. I like to keep things as organized as possible. Having all my site-wide CSS in one easy to access area just makes life easier.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2013
    And just to make it easier to understand what I mean by using different themes here are three color schemes I have now. Each essentially has the same CSS codes copied/pasted into the Theme>Advanced Tab>CSS. The only difference is in how I code colors for text, and hovering over links, etc..

Here's my original color scheme, which I've grown tired of.

Here's one I use for wedding galleries, which is due for more tweeking.

And this is one that may become my new overall scheme. I'm still working on a whole new look, and presentation of my work.

Having all the CSS in one place meant I could just focus on designing an over all structure when it came to building the folders, galleries, and pages. I don't end up with extraneous blocks on the layouts. Now, if I needed to target a specific page then I would place a CSS block on it. I'm trying to avoid that though.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    And just to make it easier to understand what I mean by using different themes here are three color schemes I have now. Each essentially has the same CSS codes copied/pasted into the Theme>Advanced Tab>CSS. The only difference is in how I code colors for text, and hovering over links, etc..
    Just to make sure I understand it the right way:
    you're using (obviously, right?) the same theme and you're setting up different combinations of text/background colors for specific galleries and/or pages?
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    fabthi wrote: »
    Hi all
    As we all do, I added some CSS portions of code to customize my website.
    Only, I am not sure I understand the difference between pasting it into
    Entire Site>Content>On Entire Site>CSS
    OR
    I did try to paste the same code alternatively on both locations and it doesn't seem to make any difference headscratch.gif, but I'm sure there should be a RIGHT place depending on the type of code and the customization required.
    Thanks

Fabio

Those are the same thing, I think.
    There are 2 other alternatives, though:
    - On a particular page, gallery, or folder, (or all galleries or all folders), you can drag a CSS block from the content blocks, to customize each of these. This CSS will not affect the site-wide level.
    - On a particular page or gallery, or folder, (or all galleries or all folders), you can drag in an HTML block, where there is a CSS tab on that block. This CSS will affect only this HTML block.

What you can't do is put CSS for One particular gallery or HTML block on a page, into the site-wide CSS section. I believe in Legacy all the CSS went into one place and you could add the specifiers to limit to a single gallery. That's not possible now.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2013
    fabthi wrote: »
    Just to make sure I understand it the right way:
    you're using (obviously, right?) the same theme and you're setting up different combinations of text/background colors for specific galleries and/or pages?

I'm using the same overall structure, with the header, menu, and footer in the same place. I then use themes to change how each color variant looks. I want them all to have the same rounded corners, fonts sizes, etc.. I can change fonts with each theme but am using the same ones in all. Basically I just change the colors of the various parts of the page.

I'm also finding that by having an area of my site where I can experiment; I am more apt to try new things. I can make CSS tweaks there before going live on the public galleries.