What about after unveiling?...

guinodguinod Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited November 27, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hello!
I am about to unveil my new Smugmug site. After unveiling will it be possible to customize again my new site?
Thank you . Regards
Guinod

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited November 23, 2013
    Yes. Once you unveil your new site will be visible to all who visit your site.

You can continue to make changes to your site after you unveil.

--- Denise
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2013
    Denise would you kindly list some of the things you know we will have to tweak or fix after unveiling? You mentioned in another thread that somethings may not work as we hope or expect. If I have a list that will help me go right to them and make adjustments. Thanks.
    edited November 23, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Denise would you kindly list some of the things you know we will have to tweak or fix after unveiling? You mentioned in another thread that somethings may not work as we hope or expect. If I have a list that will help me go right to them and make adjustments. Thanks.
    I'm not sure what you're looking for here. The one thing that you need to understand that before you unveil you use publish to save and be able to see your changes. Once you unveil publish means publish, as in make the changes public so your viewers can see them.

The other thing you may want to tweak is the fact that you can now have more organizational layers. In Legacy you only had category to subcategory to gallery. In new smug you can have multiple levels of folders.

--- Denise
  • guinodguinod Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2013
    Yes. Once you unveil your new site will be visible to all who visit your site.

You can continue to make changes to your site after you unveil.

--- Denise

Thank you Denise for your prompt answer. So now I can push on the button!
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2013
    Denise would you kindly list some of the things you know we will have to tweak or fix after unveiling? You mentioned in another thread that somethings may not work as we hope or expect. If I have a list that will help me go right to them and make adjustments.
    I'm not Denise, but would comment that the only things you might want to tweak will be the things that matter to you! Take a look at your site (through your visitors' eyes) and decide what works well and what might work better. You can also look at other sites to identify features that might also work well for your visitors.

Anything you might want to change is up to you - there's no standard list! Any site can 'work' using any of the standard templates right out of the box.
    edited November 25, 2013
    I'm not sure what you're looking for here. The one thing that you need to understand that before you unveil you use publish to save and be able to see your changes. Once you unveil publish means publish, as in make the changes public so your viewers can see them.

The other thing you may want to tweak is the fact that you can now have more organizational layers. In Legacy you only had category to subcategory to gallery. In new smug you can have multiple levels of folders.

--- Denise

I must have misunderstood the context of your comment, wherever I read it. I thought you were saying that however you set your customization while in New, it may not do quite right after unveiling. Maybe you were saying that if you don't anticipate and work with the new format requirements, unveiling might institute some unexpected changes.
    edited November 25, 2013
    guinod wrote: »
    Thank you Denise for your prompt answer. So now I can push on the button!

It looks like you have unveiled - love your splash screen. :)
    However, on this URL, I see no thumbnails to your galleries. I'm not sure why, I would think that would be automatic:

http://www.someclicsomeclacs.com/Public-galleries-Galeries-publ
    edited November 25, 2013
    I'm not Denise, but would comment that the only things you might want to tweak will be the things that matter to you! Take a look at your site (through your visitors' eyes) and decide what works well and what might work better. You can also look at other sites to identify features that might also work well for your visitors.

Anything you might want to change is up to you - there's no standard list! Any site can 'work' using any of the standard templates right out of the box.

Thanks, WWW, I am busy doing that while I'm more busy fixing broken HTML pages. thumb.gif
    edited November 25, 2013
    I must have misunderstood the context of your comment, wherever I read it. I thought you were saying that however you set your customization while in New, it may not do quite right after unveiling. Maybe you were saying that if you don't anticipate and work with the new format requirements, unveiling might institute some unexpected changes.
    The only thing I remember warning people about was uploading (if you upload in new before you have unveiled your galleries are placed in a smug-created folder) and creating a folder structure (that isn't visible in legacy). I don't recall saying that unveiling would create odd changes - that was not my experience at all.

--- Denise
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    The only thing I remember warning people about was uploading (if you upload in new before you have unveiled your galleries are placed in a smug-created folder) and creating a folder structure (that isn't visible in legacy). I don't recall saying that unveiling would create odd changes - that was not my experience at all.

--- Denise

My only warning (to the world, not Denise!) is that if you had highly cutomized your legacy system, then you have alot more customizations in front of you. You will have to spend time finding the css to do what you want. You may not even realize you can change certain things. Newbies should spend ALOT of time here reading DGRIN customization threads to see what others have figured out. Go to the thread where folks have unveiled and see what they have done - especially those who said they did major customizations. Also, go look at the problems threads so you will be aware of what problems that DO exist so you don't waste time fighting them. If you do all this, you should be able to make a very nice custom site. Nothing's free - spend the time! Check out my site for some interesting customization, yet kept it simple.