Options

Image Size On Homepage

GanginwoodGanginwood Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited November 27, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I need a bigger image on my home page. I have the image set to "original" in the dimensions toolbox but the screenshot shows how big it displays. I have a feeling that it might have something to do with the margins but I'm not sure.
I have my margins set to 0 and my container width set to 960.
Any suggestions and an explanation of what these settings mean?
Kevin

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-24%20at%206.02.45%20AM-XL.png

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2013
    That looks about 960 pixels wide to me? Try setting your page to Stretchy on the layout tab instead of fixing the page width at 960 pixels. (And/or set the container width to 100%)
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2013
    Ok. The other problem I'm having is my top navbar. On my 27" screen the top nav is stretched out (like I want it to be). But on my laptop, it is doubled up on 2 lines because there is not enough room. Shouldn't this resize itself automatically or is there a setting I need to change?
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2013
    First off, I've been trying to get this website...
    http://www.ivanmakarov.com/
    simple and clean.
    Regarding my homepage image/slideshow, if I choose "stretchy" instead of fixed, I need to choose the original file size to get the image to be large enough on the 27" monitor. The problem with that is when I use my 13" MacBook, it keeps the full size properties and it looks terrible.

When I go to Ivan Makarov's site, the image is proportionate regardless of what monitor I'm viewing it on. How do I get that to work on my site?

Also, the largest container size I can choose is 960 for the width so that clearly doesn't work on my 27" monitor either (see original post) Getting very frustrated.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2013
    Ok..so here's where I'm at My picture would only go to 960 because my center box was set to 960. My bad. So what should I set my center width to so it appears like the Ivan's website? I would almost rather a percentage than a pixel number so it stays even no matter what screen I'm looking at. Is that an option?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2013
    Your slideshow at http://www.ivanmakarov.com/ seems to be stretching properly for me at the moment? (If I resize my browser window smaller, the slideshow scales along with it)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,268 moderator
    edited November 25, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Your slideshow at http://www.ivanmakarov.com/ seems to be stretching properly for me at the moment? (If I resize my browser window smaller, the slideshow scales along with it)
    I think he was using that site as an example.
    Ganginwood wrote: »
    Ok..so here's where I'm at My picture would only go to 960 because my center box was set to 960. My bad. So what should I set my center width to so it appears like the Ivan's website? I would almost rather a percentage than a pixel number so it stays even no matter what screen I'm looking at. Is that an option?
    I'm not sure what you mean by center box. Do you have more than one content element across your home page?

Yes, you can set the width to a percentage. Click the dimensions icon on your content element and set the container width to your desired percentage. (I assume you already have your homepage set to stretchy.)

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    Here is what my homepage looks like with no image. The center box is set to stretch and it is 100% of the width. This is NOT the issue. I know how to do this.
    Screen%20Shot%202013-11-26%20at%206.50.59%20AM-XL.png

The next screen shot shows where I dropped my content box into the center box. It is where I added my photo.
    Screen%20Shot%202013-11-26%20at%206.51.22%20AM-XL.png

The final screenshot shows the image that I dropped in and the options I get for sizing. AND THIS IS THE PROBLEM.
    Screen%20Shot%202013-11-26%20at%206.51.54%20AM-X2.png

The size of the image on this last screenshot is what I want. In fact, it is close to the website that I'm trying to go after (http://www.ivanmakarov.com)
    The problem is that it does not stay proportionate like that when I look at in on a 13" monitor as opposed to the 27" monitor with the screenshot. On my 13" monitor the image is WAY to big and I have to scroll down to see the bottom of the page. On Ivan Makaraov's website, the image is the same size (proportion to the page) no matter what size monitor you look at it on.

Its almost like I need to set my image to a percentage rather than the content box. There has got to be an easy solution to this that I am missing.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,268 moderator
    edited November 26, 2013
    Yes, you can set the width to a percentage. Click the dimensions icon on your content element and set the container width to your desired percentage. (I assume you already have your homepage set to stretchy.)
    Ganginwood wrote: »
    Its almost like I need to set my image to a percentage rather than the content box. There has got to be an easy solution to this that I am missing.
    As I noted in my previous response, you need to alter the dimensions of your content element. Hover over the element and select the dimensions icon (the icon that looks like a triangle / tool). Change the container width to the percentage you desire.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    The container width was set to 100. The issue turned out to be the fact that in order for the image to be the same proportion on any monitor, you need to select a gallery instead of a single image.

Thanks Tom W...smugmug hero.

and of course, thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions. they all helped in one way or another.