Options

Nanjing, China

PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
edited December 1, 2013 in Journeys
These are shots from my wife's hometown Nanjing, located in Jiangsu Province 2 hours from Shanghai. The word Nanjing means "Southern Capital" as opposed to Beijing which means "Northern Capital". Nanjing was the capital of China until the Ming Dynasty moved it to Beijing.

This is from December 2010
Questions, Comments, and Critiques welcome

smugshot_4607378-L.jpg

IMG_0726-L.jpg

smugshot_1960001-L.jpg

home2-L.jpg

IMGP9568-L.jpg

Confucious-L.jpg
David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
My Website
Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |

Comments

• Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2013
    Cool shots! And that one of the window would look awesome on a metallic print!! One of them shots you could stare at all day!
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2013
    I love the first image and the image of the window. Are those the real colors in the window image? Very rich. The compositions on the first image and the window image are fabulous.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2013
    Thanks, the window is an HDR image and an interesting fact about it is this is the house my wife grew up in. Her father and four brothers built the house from brick and concrete. Her grandfather built the two chairs in front of the window.
    My Website
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2013
    Thanks, the window is an HDR image and an interesting fact about it is this is the house my wife grew up in. Her father and four brothers built the house from brick and concrete. Her grandfather built the two chairs in front of the window.

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Definitely print it then!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    Some nice shots. Thanks for posting.

Hmm. I studied some Mandarin Chinese a long time ago and I thought I remembered "jing" to mean "city". Looked it up and it means "capital". Cool.

In Wade Giles pronunciation: Nan - south, Pei - north (but pronounced BEI) , hsi - west pronounced "she" and tung (pronounced "dung") - east.

Forgive me if this is not correct, because it has been a long time. I recall repeating - bei, nan, dung, shi - north, south, east, west. Dunghsi is "thing" in Mandarin Chinese, at least that is what I recall.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013

Hmm. I studied some Mandarin Chinese a long time ago and I thought I remembered "jing" to mean "city". Looked it up and it means "capital". Cool.

In Wade Giles pronunciation: Nan - south, Pei - north (but pronounced BEI) , hsi - west pronounced "she" and tung (pronounced "dung") - east.

Forgive me if this is not correct, because it has been a long time. I recall repeating - bei, nan, dung, shi - north, south, east, west. Dunghsi is "thing" in Mandarin Chinese, at least that is what I recall.

Phil

I know dung bei people are people from the north east of china. I'll have to ask my wife about the others
    My Website
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    To read more about my journey to Nanjing please read my latest blog post:

http://www.davidweissphotos.com/Nanjingjourney
    My Website
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013

Phil

You are correct about your directions!clap.gif
    My Website