Options

Custom gallery links not showing up

ulightulight Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited November 26, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'm new to smugmug so apologies if I'm asking an age old question (I did look about on the forums but haven't found anything with my search terms).

I added a second menu block to a few of my galleries by making the edits "this gallery only". These links work well in preview but as soon as I leave preview they no longer show up. Publishing the site and viewing as public has the same result (they don't show up).

Anyone have an idea what I might be running into? Is it a "custom gallery" issue or is there a better way to add a link?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    Have you unveiled your site? If not, don't use "Preview". Just click done and "Publish", this saves the changes to the page.
    Public will not see your site until you "unveil".

Did you browse to the actual page you want as the link?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Have you unveiled your site? If not, don't use "Preview". Just click done and "Publish", this saves the changes to the page.
    Public will not see your site until you "unveil".

Did you browse to the actual page you want as the link?

Hi Al,

Thanks for the response. I have published the site and browsed to it as public. When I do this I see my pages exactly as I've laid them out with the exception of the gallery specific links I've added. The only time I do see that link is when I'm in preview mode (I don't see it when I'm logged in and looking at site as myself either).
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    ulight wrote: »
    ... I have published the site and browsed to it as public....
    Does this mean that you have unveiled your site so the public can see your new site?
    Got a link? ... and where are these links that don't work, menu?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    I thought "unveil" was the same as "publish". How/where do I unveil?

Here's my site (let me know if you can't see it): http://jeffhessphotography.smugmug.com/

If you go to the gallery named "In Pursuit of Gravity" there should be a link just beneath the title block. The link was added by adding a menu block there. That particular link is only on that gallery (or should be on that gallery).
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    I think you are unveiled. So your new site is now what the public sees, and when you publish, you are publishing the changes to the public also. (If you were not yet unveiled, publish would be private.)

This is what I see, no link under the gallery title.
    Are you saying you have added a menu block under the title?
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Are you saying you have added a menu block under the title?

Yes that's right. I can see this link when I'm in preview or 'customization' but in any other mode it's not there.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    Maybe smugmug doesn't like more than one menu block?... Is there another way to add a link?
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    Issue resolved. I thought you could publish the site as a whole but apparently each page must be published separately (or at least when they're "just this gallery" pages).

Thanks Allen and ChancyRat for helping!
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    Interesting. What is that block you used to show only the link?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,268 moderator
    edited November 26, 2013
    Maybe smugmug doesn't like more than one menu block?... Is there another way to add a link?
    I have placed links in my gallery descriptions by using <a href= HTML. No need for a content block for this...

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Interesting. What is that block you used to show only the link?

I used a regular menu block, deleted all the default links (home, browse, etc.) and created the new one I wanted.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    I have placed links in my gallery descriptions by using <a href= HTML. No need for a content block for this...

--- Denise

I thought that would probably work but am lazily trying to avoid editing in HTML ('old' brain cells I'd rather not mess with) :)

Great that they provide the ability to edit CSS and HTML though. I suppose I'll eventually get lulled into customizing on that level.

Nice site btw!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,268 moderator
    edited November 26, 2013
    Nice site btw!
    Thanks!

--- Denise