Site rebuilt...

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited December 2, 2013 in The Big Picture
So this obviously isn't the place for this, but since I hang out in here more than anywhere else and I value all of your opinions, having seen your work and the input you all have given me previously, so I thought I'd throw this in here and see what happens.

I have been working through all of the complexities of the "New SmugMug" and I finally decided to dump their "Pro" level account in favor of a "Power" account. The reasons are many, but basically they weren't providing the things that I was looking for. It seemed to me that I could accomplish what I was looking for utilizing a "Power account".

Anyway, long story short, would you all mind having a look at the site I wound up with (which is a power account) and tell me if I have overlooked anything obvious or if there is anything that just sucks? Bear in mind that this site is intended for middle school kids and their parents. Empty folders are due to the sporting season for that particular sport having not started yet.

Thanks!

http://www.jasonhowardking.com
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    I think it is very nice. Clean, to the point and simple to use. I would like to see a photo of you but that is personal choice. I don't see a phone number to contact you only your email form.

I would love to know how the reorder of the events goes. I generally hear they don't do very well, was just wondering.
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I think it is very nice. Clean, to the point and simple to use. I would like to see a photo of you but that is personal choice. I don't see a phone number to contact you only your email form.

I would love to know how the reorder of the events goes. I generally hear they don't do very well, was just wondering.

Thanks for the input Hack. I haven't got around to doing a selfie yet so I haven't got a picture of myself up as you mentioned. Trust me, your not missing much. One of these days Ill get around to that.

As to the reorder of events, they kinda suck. They pay for the site which obviously isn't saying much. Mostly I do it for fun since I work at the school anyway. The only money comes at the end of the season when I do the portraits of the kids that you see on the home page slide show and even that is only a couple thousand dollars a year.

One of these days I'm going to get more serious about the portraits and start an actual business of some sort. But like Thomas Edison said - "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 1, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    ...would you all mind having a look at the site I wound up with (which is a power account) and tell me if I have overlooked anything obvious or if there is anything that just sucks?
    I like the overall look of your site but one thing jumped out at me. You have folders that are empty with no explanation. I would recommend adding a cover photo instead of the empty folder that currently shows. You might also consider adding "coming soon" text in the folder - right now if I click on one of the empty folders I am taken to a page showing a title and nothing else.

Your FAQ indicates you are selling photos but I didn't see an add to cart button in any of the galleries I wandered through.

--- Denise
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2013
    I like the overall look of your site but one thing jumped out at me. You have folders that are empty with no explanation. I would recommend adding a cover photo instead of the empty folder that currently shows. You might also consider adding "coming soon" text in the folder - right now if I click on one of the empty folders I am taken to a page showing a title and nothing else.

Your FAQ indicates you are selling photos but I didn't see an add to cart button in any of the galleries I wandered through.

--- Denise

Thanks for the heads up Denise on both fronts. I recently had to update the photos and that seems to strip the paypal cart out of the comments section. Im going to get right on that.