Options

Help! Annoying watermark on thumbnails.

ReloadReload Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 26, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hey guys I am new to the forum but here is my problem. I have multiply surf galleries here. http://surfingnosara.smugmug.com/Buy-your-photos-for-tourist
I have been happy with my settings and saved them as a quick setting. The last few galleries have started doing something different from the other galleries which is putting the watermark on the thumbnails which my previous galleries did not. The previous galleries were perfect as you could browse the thumbnails and easily find your photos and not see the watermark until you clicked on the photo and it became larger for viewing which was perfect. Now the problem is that the watermark on the thumbnails makes browsing much harder. I have emailed the help team with multiply emails but can't get a good answer on why all my galleries before are fine but the latest ones are different. Check out my link and see for yourself what I am trying to say. I hope someone out there can help me. Also I went back to the previous galleries and saved the settings as a quick setting hoping I could just reproduce the settings I desired but when applying that quick setting the watermark still shows on the thumbnail. What has changed? I can't figure this out. :dunno

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2013
    First, those are not thumbnails but images from the gallery that are used in new smug. If you look at
    a Smugmug style gallery you will see actual thumbnails used there. The only way I know to rid of WM's
    is create images to use without a WM. I created an unlisted gallery to store and link to for these
    specific created non-WM images and then pointed to the image in the gallery/folder settings.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ReloadReload Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 23, 2013
    Hey Allen could you check out this gallery http://surfingnosara.smugmug.com/Buy-your-photos-for-tourist/20131125 This is an example of how I want it to work. This is how it use to work for me. Notice, the photos have watermarks but the thumbnails don't making browsing much easier for the clients. If this is a glitch than it is a very good glitch and smugmug should try to reproduce it. If you or anyone knows how I can reproduce it let me know.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    Is that a thumbnail style gallery? If it uses the actual thumbs there would be not watermarks on them.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited December 23, 2013
    Interesting. If I look at http://surfingnosara.smugmug.com/Buy-your-photos-for-tourist/, the galleries with photos taken on 2013/11/26 or later show the proof watermark, those earlier do not.

I just switched one of my galleries to thumbnail style temporarily. What I found is that there are watermarks on the thumbs. The gallery I switched was almost entirely landscape-mode photos, with one portrait-mode photo. Because my watermark is on the left side of the image it only showed on the portrait-mode photo. With a watermark across the image like the "proof" you are using, it will show on all photos.

When did you switch from legacy to new smug? Just curious if it was around the time of the galleries starting to show a watermark on the thumbs.

The thumbs in a thumbnail style gallery in new smug are larger than the old 100x100 or 150x150 thumbs that we could opt not to watermark in legacy. Based on this thread it appears that thumbs in a thumbnail-style are watermarked in new smug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    Reload wrote: »
    Hey Allen could you check out this gallery http://surfingnosara.smugmug.com/Buy-your-photos-for-tourist/20131125 This is an example of how I want it to work. This is how it use to work for me. Notice, the photos have watermarks but the thumbnails don't making browsing much easier for the clients. If this is a glitch than it is a very good glitch and smugmug should try to reproduce it. If you or anyone knows how I can reproduce it let me know.
    That gallery doesn't seem to be watermarked properly. It appears as if the watermarking setting was enabled in the gallery after the gallery was uploaded. The watermark isn't present on the small, medium or large size either. That suggests that when you created the gallery, the 'maximum display size' was set to large and that afterwards the size setting was changed along with the watermarking setting. That caused the larger display copies to be created with the watermark.

For the watermark to be applied properly, you would need to re-watermark the photos in these galleries that don't show the watermark on the gallery tile. There's currently no option to not show a watermark on folder / gallery tiles.

The only workaround to that would be to manually apply a different feature image for the gallery and that you set that feature image to a photo that is not watermarked at all. Feature images can be selected from any gallery on your site so that the unwatermarked photo would not have to reside in the specific gallery.

If you have further questions, also include which quick setting you apply when you create these galleries so we could take a look at what settings are in place for it.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero