Beach shoot with Andy

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited December 20, 2005 in People
Hello All,

I got a chance to shoot at the beach yesterday with our buddy Andy Williams :clap As usual we had a blast and even came back with a few decent pitchas :rofl

We shot some surfers, a few of which are here

48656723-M.jpg

It was too cold so we went down to the Boardwalk so we could get on to the beach to shoot all the seagulls sittin' on the sand :rolleyes ....lol It being Friday and all, the Boardwalk was packed with tourists....lol

48660128-L.jpg

So we went down to see the gulls. We didn't want to stir them up. Better than average chance that with lots of gulls in the air, one of our cameras would get hit :uhoh Anyhow, they stayed calm and let us shoot them.

48660131-L.jpg

It was getting close to sunset and we were running out of exciting stuff to shoot.....lol One last shot before we pack it in........
48666553-L.jpg

We started to discuss our next shoot and agreed on one thing. Next time we'll come home with better shots of more interesting subjects ;-)

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome. Thanks Andy, I needed a fun afternoon like we had :thumb

Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Nice set. I love the shot of the boardwalk. thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    I really like the arcade shot
    It just stills my busy mind and makes me stop a minute... very evocative for some odd reason.

But the sea gull parking lot! Outrageous!clap.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 19, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Nice set. I love the shot of the boardwalk. thumb.gif

Virginia

Thanks Virginia :D

I like that shot too. I was considering whether it would have been better with more people walking around. But I kind of liked the emptiness with the shadows spilling across the empty walk and just a small group of people in the upper right. You can see all of the neatly colored shops better this way too :-)

Thanks for looking and for your comments,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 19, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    It just stills my busy mind and makes me stop a minute... very evocative for some odd reason.

But the sea gull parking lot! Outrageous!clap.gif

Thanks Dee :D

That's the kewl thing about shooting with Andy. When he whips his camera out he's probably got a good idea for a kewl shot. I just followed his lead on this one and tried for the old "lead the viewer's eye" look. As mentioned above, I also liked the nice colors of the shops.

The "parking lot" shot was fun too. I was looking for a nice shot with more than just a load of seagulls sitting in the sand. The River was blocked so it had taken a turn and was running right between us and the seagulls. So it gave an interesting foreground, with the birds in the mid ground and the colorful ferris wheel in the background (well, they seemed interesting/colorful to me at least....lol)

Anyhow, I'm glad you liked them too thumb.gif

Thanks for your comments,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    Is Andy taking a close up of that lady's ear?
    The picture Andy took of you in the other thread is just great.
    edited December 19, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    Is Andy taking a close up of that lady's ear?
    The picture Andy took of you in the other thread is just great.

Laughing.gif David,

Yeah that lady has some pretty ears rolleyes1.gif Don't tell me you can't see those little specs out in the water?...lol My only excuse is that I was lazy and didn't want to lose my place at the rail and I was shooting with the Bigma at wide angle 80mms. Andy was about a block away when he took that 400mm close up of me.....lol

Thanks for looking,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    Steve doesn't have the magic touch
    You must've turned your back or something, becuase when I shot the ferris wheel, it sure was *moving* lol3.gif

ne_nau.gif

48974896-L-1.jpg
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Did you bring bread for the gulls?

The ones I shot the other day out on Folly Beach were rather "people tolerant" also. I stirred mine up but it didn't net me anything good. The good one I got was when I was lying down on the sand.

Well, got a few more, but only worked that one up.

Glad you all had a good day!! Looks wonderful, and I do like the empty boardwalk: or any boardwalk. Colorful!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited December 20, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    You must've turned your back or something, becuase when I shot the ferris wheel, it sure was *moving* lol3.gif

ne_nau.gif

48974896-L-1.jpg

Laughing.gif Andy,

You're right, I musta been watching the whales when you caught this shot rolleyes1.gif

Nice use of artistic license.....lol I believe I even see a rider about to vomit on the runaway ferris wheel :puke :wow :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 20, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Did you bring bread for the gulls?

The ones I shot the other day out on Folly Beach were rather "people tolerant" also. I stirred mine up but it didn't net me anything good. The good one I got was when I was lying down on the sand.

Well, got a few more, but only worked that one up.

Glad you all had a good day!! Looks wonderful, and I do like the empty boardwalk: or any boardwalk. Colorful!

ginger

Hiya Ginger,

No bread. Andy fed the gulls on the wharf his leftover bread soup bowl. He loves to watch them fight over it....Laughing.gif

These guys tolerated us well too. There was even another photographer shooting them from closer and they just sat there looking intelligent...Laughing.gif NOT BTW, the other photog was one of the dying breed. A film shooter using a Leica :oogle

Lying down in the sand? Now you can get away with that, but if Andy or I layed down in the sand they'd have the Sierra Club out there trying to rescue the beached whales lol3.gif

Thanks for your comments about the boardwalk. I like it too and it was so peaceful without the Summer tourists there.

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero