Options

Off-Camera Flash Questions:

DelbeanDelbean Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited December 3, 2013 in Accessories
I would like to get my flash off camera and was interested in an off-camera remote cord. Nikon makes an SC-28 and an SC-29. Besides the price, the only difference was the 29 has a AF assist, the 28 does not. Am I missing anything else?
Once this is attached to the flash, how does the flash unit then get mounted to a light stand?

Comments

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2013
    You are correct about the difference in the cords, they mount with a 1/4" thread. Also note that the SC-17 is the same as the 28, but the cable comes out a different side.
    On the SC-29 the AF only works with Nikon speedlights.

Good Luck....
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    Thanks for your reply time2smile. I am trying to visualize how it would mount to my existing cold shoe mount. At this time, I have a light stand and universal umbrella adapter. I would like to include an umbrella in my purchase as well.
    Would the remote cord get in the way of an umbrella or softbox?
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    You will need a 1/4 inch stud on top of the umbrella mount. Cord won't get in the way for either. What body do you have, does it have CLS, if so use that instead. What part of Jersey are you in?
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    If you mean using the pop-up from my D7000 as a commander, yes I could do that. I was thinking the flash unit wouldn't behave if it wasn't in a direct line of sight, but now that I think about, it all it needs is light from the pop up to fire the flash.
    I am located in Warren Co. in NW NJ. Where are you?
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Ocean County, 10 miles from Seaside

I have 2 17's and 2 29's and also a D7000, the cords are nice if you want to angle the light off center, but would be annoying tethered to a stand. The CLS system works well as long as you don't have a lot of ambient light around. I use 2 sb600 and 1 sb700 works great indoors (at home), I also use the ebay triggers RF602 and RF603, they are cheap and reliable, but I use them with vivitar flash, no ttl of course.
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    OK, I already have the SB-700, and a light stand. If I wanted to add one umbrella to my arsenal for family portraits, I just need to buy the umbrella, right?
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    Is this just for studio work?

Personally, I find the cords quite limiting. I could make due in a small space of an indoor studio, but I would feel very limited on location if I had to be tethered. Light cords are passe. Try the CLS using your flash as commander. If you want greater range and ease of use, consider an SU800. If you need greater range or reliability, consider a radio trigger setup.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    This would be for on-location shoots. I was just wondering if I would need something other than the CLS to trigger the flash if I used an umbrella, like a TTL remote cord. After reading the strobist, it was suggested to go with cords while I am getting the hang of things and before moving to radio triggers.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    I don't think those standard cords will be long enough for you. Consider trying the CLS with your pop up flash as commander. You can set your on camera flash to not "fire" and light just with your OCF. Keep an eye on the receiver on your flash. Make sure it is always within line of site to your camera.

You're a pro. CLS outdoors can be somewhat unpredictable if you don't carefully watch the line of sight and keep your range to a reasonable distance.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    Mitchell is steering you right.
    Stick to the CLS as long as it works for you. Give it a try before you go buy more equipment.

That is all I have used for years...very easy once you figure out the settings.

I use an SB800 and a shoot through umbrella/softbox on a stand. The entire setup is under $100....flash is more obviously.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Delbean wrote: »
    OK, I already have the SB-700, and a light stand. If I wanted to add one umbrella to my arsenal for family portraits, I just need to buy the umbrella, right?

If you have the bracket the umbrella mounts in, all you need is an umbrella.

I also agree with all that the cord is just to restrictive, especially the SB's they are pretty heavy coils and can even pull the stand down. I just stretch mine out to 5ft and the pull is very strong.

Try the CLS and if the testing does not work for you, and you still want TTL, most folks will do manual settings on the flash. Nikon does make a shoe with a 3 plug sync style and a flash camera piece, and cables 20 ft long, I just don't remember what the # are for them.
    Ted....
    Nikon