Questions about Silver Efex Pro 2

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited December 3, 2013 in Finishing School
I just started using a trial version of the Nik/Google plugins with CS5 and have a few workflow questions about Silver Efex 2.
  1. Is there a way to keep it loaded so that it doesn't have to start and stop with every document? I just started using a fast new machine, but even so the startup time is a little annoying. Everything should be instant, right? :wink
  2. Do you find that the sharpening tools (structure, in Nik terms) are generally sufficient for output or do you typically use other tools to sharpen after doing the B&W conversion in Nik?
My first impression is that SFX will simplify and speed up my processing significantly once I get the hang of it, but I'm not sure what the limits are.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    Richard,
    I just called Nik, and unfortunately that's the way it works. When you are done with your edits and apply, the program will save the image and close the plugin. The program is not a stand alone program and only works as a plugin on one image at a time, and you must reopen separately for each image. :cry

Sam
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 3, 2013
    Thanks Sam. I figured as much but it never hurts to ask. They're probably constrained by the Adobe plugin architecture. Ah, well, it's really only a matter of a few seconds, and I'm sure I'll get used to it. In the old days, I used to go out for lunch while my programs compiled. :rutt But I've got a lot more time on my hands now. rolleyes1.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    Thanks Sam. I figured as much but it never hurts to ask. They're probably constrained by the Adobe plugin architecture. Ah, well, it's really only a matter of a few seconds, and I'm sure I'll get used to it. In the old days, I used to go out for lunch while my programs compiled. :rutt But I've got a lot more time on my hands now. rolleyes1.gif

I thought it would be faster, easier and less costly for me to make the call. :D

Sam