Options

OOYCZ #1- Sewing Center

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited December 14, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, I will give it a shot.

My wife sews a great deal and gives a lot to charity or to our church for fund raisers. She made a couple dozen beautiful pillowcases for a church bazaar. She also made dozen fleece blankets for wheel chair bound people.

So I thought I would capture some of the pillowcases. Image below. Then I thought how about capturing something being sewn. Following image. I used CFL lighting for both.

20131031%20Pillowcases-5774-L.jpg

Then I took some shots of something she was sewing but had it moved to a very old sewing machine. This is the image I would like to have critiqued.

20131112%20Sewing%20Pillowcases-6173%20edited%20v2-L.jpg
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 3, 2013
    You definitely have a good subject to work with that will also have a good story behind it! I really like the old sewing machine with the antique looking finish to the wood of the cabinet. Your composition though is a little lacking in both images represented. As it stands now, they both look like just a flashed images. Think about maybe adding a few more sewing items to the picture and doing a closer shoot but keeping the wood grain and only a portion of the machine in it. Play with your elements and lighting for more contrast. You would try some more subtle lighting from one angle to get some deep moody lighting. Maybe even have a stack of the pillowcases with one draped down with folds that the light will accentuate into a more interesting composition. So many different ways you can shoot this and this is an excellent subject for you to work with!
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    JAG wrote: »
    You definitely have a good subject to work with that will also have a good story behind it! I really like the old sewing machine with the antique looking finish to the wood of the cabinet. Your composition though is a little lacking in both images represented. As it stands now, they both look like just a flashed images. Think about maybe adding a few more sewing items to the picture and doing a closer shoot but keeping the wood grain and only a portion of the machine in it. Play with your elements and lighting for more contrast. You would try some more subtle lighting from one angle to get some deep moody lighting. Maybe even have a stack of the pillowcases with one draped down with folds that the light will accentuate into a more interesting composition. So many different ways you can shoot this and this is an excellent subject for you to work with!

Thank you for your critique. It will help me in recomposing and lighting the shot.

The pillowcases image is just part of the story. The image I am after is the sewing machine with something in progress.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    I love all the colorful fabric in the pillowcases, but I also love the old sewing machine. Maybe you could stack up the pillowcases by the sewing machine somehow, but have one unfolded and draped sort of like a work-in-progress?? Maybe add a pin cushion or scissors or something....

I'm sure you can play with a composition with more elements. I do think you're on to something if you can work out a pleasing composition. I'm not an expert on lighting, so I'm not much help in that area. I really like the bright colored fabric and while I agree that the lighting should be different or more subtle, I don't think the colors would pop as well to me if the mood was too dark.

Good luck.

Sherry P.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2013
    slpollett wrote: »
    I love all the colorful fabric in the pillowcases, but I also love the old sewing machine. Maybe you could stack up the pillowcases by the sewing machine somehow, but have one unfolded and draped sort of like a work-in-progress?? Maybe add a pin cushion or scissors or something....

I'm sure you can play with a composition with more elements. I do think you're on to something if you can work out a pleasing composition. I'm not an expert on lighting, so I'm not much help in that area. I really like the bright colored fabric and while I agree that the lighting should be different or more subtle, I don't think the colors would pop as well to me if the mood was too dark.

Good luck.

Sherry P.

Thanks. I like your ideas. I have been using 5,600 CFL lighting. Four different light stands and six bulbs positioned differently. I may incorporate some more light. Sometimes I would like to see the result as a very old image - black and white, or sepia. I have played with both but not sure yet. Composition is something I need change - either less complex or add more elements.

This is a good experience.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2013
    For this topic, I would like a grouping of sewing notions (threads, bias binding, needles, thimbles, scissors or pinking sheers, measureing tape or ruler, rickrack, and maybe a pattern envelope or two) grouped around the sewing machine. Things of different sizes and textures. Maybe some different swatches of fabric with different color threads as though the sewer were figuring out which color to use.

I think the one of the pillow cases, while colorful is too samey, and the fabric under the needle is blurred and I don't like that either.

Also I would not be using the red thread on the hem of that item unless I was doing some kind of decorative edging which probably is not within the capabilities of that particular machine. (I do like that color thread with the machine, just that it should be a different fabric under the needle)
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    For this topic, I would like a grouping of sewing notions (threads, bias binding, needles, thimbles, scissors or pinking sheers, measureing tape or ruler, rickrack, and maybe a pattern envelope or two) grouped around the sewing machine. Things of different sizes and textures. Maybe some different swatches of fabric with different color threads as though the sewer were figuring out which color to use.

I think the one of the pillow cases, while colorful is too samey, and the fabric under the needle is blurred and I don't like that either.

Also I would not be using the red thread on the hem of that item unless I was doing some kind of decorative edging which probably is not within the capabilities of that particular machine. (I do like that color thread with the machine, just that it should be a different fabric under the needle)

Thank you for you comments. My wife who will help set this up is out of town until tomorrow, so I am awaiting her return.

There are many elements that can be added to the image. This is something I am learning from this experience.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    My comments are as a person who sews - not as a photographer, so feel free to disregard.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2013
    I loved the red thread with the machine...I just didn't like the fabric in that shot. Maybe get the sewing items together in a pleasing way--pin cushion, fabric, scissors, thimble, whatever and arrange like maybe it's ready to go or something....I don't know. I'm really not very creative at all, but my Mother is an artist. I have picked up a few things from her over the years. She always stresses odd number of items among other things...

Sherry
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 743 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    I was thinking that a lower angle, with emphasis on the needle interacting with the fabric might be interesting--more dynamic. While I think that type of image might be stronger, I am not sure if it would be a better still life. Still doesn't necessarily go with dynamic. So, feel free to ignore.

I like the lighting and the way the dark background emphasizes the gold on the sewing machine. The use of the older machine definitely is visually striking. This image has lots of potential, and I like the back story. Your wife does beautiful work.
    ~~Barbara
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    The first image does nothing for me--looks like a snapshot of items for sale.
    The second one is better, in my opinion, but there's something about the harsh lighting that doesn't appeal. Can you add some other interesting sewing notions, zoom in on one area, and put some soft light on your subject?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    Sewing Machine - I think it is a really great idea, well imagined and a very lovely subject, especially resting on those lovely vibrant woods.

I'm no expert and would probably do no better ... but in my view, the viewer of a photograph is naturally drawn to areas within a photo because it is more in focus, better lit, higher contrast or other effects such as colour pops or "leading lines" take you there. The colour red is also considered to be a very strong eye attractor by many (or detractor if it is not the main subject).

I think the lighting and other attributes in a photo should lead the eye to where the interest is, and in this image I am drawn predominantly to the very bright fabric and not the wonderful machine or wood that it is on. For me the bright cloth is detracting and should only be enough to support the story not the main event. The machine is also a little lost into the dark background and the bright red and white cotton reel (edit - spool - thanks grandmaR) tends to pull my eye away from the machine when it goes there.

Just a suggestion, I would choose a very subdued, but interesting in its own right material and a much more subdued cotton reel. I would want these elements there for the story, but with only enough punch from them to be supporting actors.

Apologies if I'm being a bit direct, and once again ... I doubt I could do better.

Alan.
  • Options
    ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    Hi Phil

I am not used to providing critiques of photos but considering the new challenges it is time I start.
    I have not read the others`comments so sorry if I repeat what they say, but if I read them, then I would not comment as I would think everything was said before…

First of all, I really like the idea. My grandmother used to have such a machine I this is a real piece of art.
    My ideas about you pictures are the following:
    - I think the background is not the right one. As I read the links that JAG gave us, your dark piece should have a lighter background. Makes sense, as it would make is more pop
    - I really like the light on the wood at the forefront. Great texture
    - I understand this might be the way to sew, but showing the back of the tissue makes it blurry
    - I would not pick a red fabric and red thingy about the machine. I would try to stay in the same shade, maybe something green and gold or more orange. I don't know/ You should try different colors. I might even push it to paint black the white part of the reel (is that the right english word?)

I hope this is useful

Claire
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2013
    I think reel is British English. US English would call that a spool. (and the one inside under the needle plate is a bobbin)
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited December 14, 2013
    I agree that the sewing machine has great potential for your still life. The machine and wooden cabinet are beautiful! The dark background doesn't bother me but perhaps you could try to bounce a little light onto the right side. (I have used a piece of white paper as a "reflector" from time to time.) I like the idea of having a pop of color with your reel (spool) of thread and the fabric, but agree that the red pulls the eye from the beauty of the machine. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Gretchen