Options

%D Mark II

DavremdaliDavremdali Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited December 9, 2013 in Cameras
Good afternoon: can someone advise or have they heard of this site: http://www.closeoutdigital.com/products.asp?dept_id=&product_id=3471 The Canon 5D Mark III normally sells for about 3K plus, however, this site has them for $1,400. Has anyone seen the price this low?

Thanks

Reynaldo Williams
Creative Photo Images, LLC
www.creativephotoimagesllc.com

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    Shady, or a typo and they mean the 5d2. Definitely NOT a realistic price for the III.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2013
    I know that it is not a typo They also have the Mk ii for even cheapre price. You can take a look at the site of which I posted the link.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    Well, when I googled their phone number, the first two hits were from ripoffreport and scambook. Tells me all I need to know...........
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2013
    "Thanks I knew there was something strange about it. "If it sounds to good to be true then it is not!. Again, thank you.

Reynaldo Williams
    www.creativephotoimagesllc.com
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    I love their lens selection. Oh look, I can get a free lens hood with the Nikon 50mm 1.8G lens...Oh, wait it already comes with one. Or a "AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens STEEL" for $399. I had no idea that they came in a steel version. ne_nau.gif
    How about the Sigma 35mm 1.4A lens for $1600, I am already sold!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    READ THIS before you do ANY holiday online shopping! http://www.slrlounge.com/how-to-spot-a-scam-camera-buyer-advice

Honestly, hunting for a deal this good is just begging for trouble, unfortunately. Yes, there are deals out there, however there are also innumerable classic scam tactics to watch out for every time you shop online.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    My rule of thumb is that if a price is substantially lower than that offered by the reputable discounters, such as B&H & Adorama, something is wrong. Sometimes outlets that are not authorized dealers will be a bit lower, but not half price, like this. I just quickly scan a number of the reputable vendors. Their prices are almost always similar, but once in a while one of them will have a special and will beat the others for a bit.

Sad to say, if you want a new 5D Mark III from an authorized dealer (and hence no argument about the warranty or a return if defective), it's going to set you back twice that much, or a little more.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    Another sure sign of a scammer is the number of reviews: any good place that's been around will have lots of reviews; scammers usually have just a few, and they tend to be binary.

There are some intermediate vendors who actually will sell you the product you want, but with a lot of high pressure to buy accessories. I once bought a 5DII from 47th Street Photo, which has been around since my youth in New York City. I got a decent price and they delivered the product fairly fast, but the half hour phone call to buy batteries, cards and filters was insufferable.

Now I always buy at B&H as I've been very pleased with their customer service, knowledge and honesty. And of course there is never that dreaded follow up call to buy peripherals I don't need.