Options

OOYCZ #1 Christmas Still-Life

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
edited December 14, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'd like to try a Christmas themed still life for my entry. I'm posting 4 possibilities for my entry; and would appreciate feedback as to which is best and why. Constructive criticism is welcome!

#1 Vintage Ornament
i-vGSZzdN-XL.jpg

#2 Bowl of Ornaments
i-GR7X8Zv-L.jpg

#3 Bowl of Ornaments close-up
i-47vW25V-XL.jpg

#4 Books and Wine
i-s4K3cNp-XL.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,191 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    I like the ideas of the bowl of ornaments (#2) and the books/glass of wine (#4). I think for this challenge, #4 would be more appropriate.

In #4, I love the reflections of the lights and the tree through the wine & glass. I wish the glass itself were more in focus, but I like the effect the reflections give.

I don't like that the wine glass stem reflects through the eyeglasses. Something about that reflection bothers me. I don't know if the angle just isn't pleasing or what, but I don't like it. Reflections through the eyeglasses would be OK, but just not the reflection that is there...if that makes sense.

I love old books, but (to me) if using the Christmas tree as a backdrop perhaps Christmas books would 'belong' to the scene more???

I love the Christmas tree in the background and I love your idea. Just tweak the arrangement a teeny bit--maybe move the eyeglasses to the table in front of the books???

I'm really not very good at critiquing, so take my comments for what they are worth.

Sherry P.
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 737 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    Hi Kate,

While I really like #1, I think #2 and #4 work better as still life. I like #4 better because of the variety of elements, but that is probably just a personal bias. I was a bit bothered by the eyeglasses, and I think maybe Sherry has a good point. Maybe if they could be placed at an angle that makes them less "face on" to the camera it would work better. If you don't want to put them on the table as Sherry suggests, maybe changing the position of the eyeglasses so the right side is behind the base of the wine glass or the hinge is in front of the wine glass would be enough. As someone who enjoys the holidays, a good book, and a good glass of wine, this image appeals to me on a lot of levels.

I am not necessarily the best at critiquing photos. I know when I like a photo and I am usually able to say why I like it. Going beyond that is definitely out of my comfort zone. So, feel free to ignore these suggestions.
    ~~Barbara
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    These are brilliant.

Perhaps a bit too bright. I'd like to see the texture of the crystal, the colour of the wine. I would like to see more detail on the tree, especially on 4 I might have tried the other way around with the books a bit out of focus but then that would not work with the reading glasses maybe. Hope I get around to making something, you are inspiring me to have a go.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 8, 2013
    I started this post several hours ago before going to church. I am just now getting back to finishing it!

1. Love the lighting on this image but on my crummy laptop monitor, I can see where you masked background things using a flat black verses the slight blue black of the rest of the background. I also think this image to not be the best for the challenge theme. Although if your able to adjust the background thing, it would be an awesome Christmas card cover!

2. and 3. are great objects to have and on 3 I like the background with the bokeh lights in the background. However, both images are cut too close in my opinion plus they do not seem to hold the interest very long. Keep in mind that usually, still lifes are like a work of art that keeps the viewer's attention for longer than 3 seconds. Thus, little nuances of details, such as textures, color and contrasts that draws the viewer in. The crystal bowl and baubles in #2 are great items. Combine that with the background of #3 and maybe pull the shot further out to give some table top space with a fabric with some dramatic lighting, and you might have something! Play with it!

#4. To me the books, glasses and wine glass feel out of place with the background of Christmas colors. If there was a bokeh fireplace with Christmas decorations on the mantle, that might hold more interest. I do think that the wine glass might need to be in more focus and in front of the books. You could play with these elements more too.

In all, wonderful subjects for your still life! Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    I really like #1 the best but I don't think it works as an actual still life which I conceive as being a collection of objects.

I like the idea of #2 but I think the bowl detracts from the bulbs. If I were going to use that bowl I think I would put something else in it - maybe a plain bowl with some fruit with the Christmas ornaments to tone them down.

I like #4 but I agree about the glasses and the glass bothers me too. I don't know why
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    Thank you, all, for your comments. I doubt that I'll get a chance to re-shoot, but I appreciated reading your suggestions, and thinking about how my photos might be improved upon. It's helpful to see them through the eyes of others...thanks!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited December 14, 2013
    Hi Kate - Love your first photo but agree that it might not work for the still life challenge. I like the background on all of these shots. #3 is probably my favorite because of the bokeh and emphasis on the ornaments, but it might be even better pulled back - perhaps with the ornaments in a simpler glass bowl?

I really appreciate your taking time at this busy time of year to shoot several still life scenes and share them with us!

Gretchen