Options

Challenge #1, Still Life

NorskeNorske Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited December 14, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my first attempt at uploading a picture (and my first challenge). I hope I get it right.

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 8, 2013
    Hello Norske and welcome to the challenges!

My first suggestion would be to post a larger version of your image. The best size would be about 600 to 800 pixels at the widest point. If you have an online photo website that hosts your photos, such as smugmug or photobucket, you can copy and paste the html link to your image directly into the posting window here and it will show the image for you without making it an attachment.

As for the image, from what I can see, you have some shells and sand and is that a necklace with sea glass? These are interesting subjects, but the angle and maybe the arrangement could be played with more. Take some of the shells away so it is not so crowded in the image. Also panning out some so the frame does not completely fill up, rather give some breathing room.

I like the lighting you have with the shadows and lights. However I am distracted by trying to figure out what the string and glass pieces really are. Is there a way you can angle this differently and make it known what those objects really are? Is there more than one necklace? If there is, maybe only show one.

You definitely have some interesting objects here for your still life and your lighting is good. Maybe you can try some other angles and arrangements with the shells. Definitely consider using less shells. I look forward to seeing more from you!
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    I agree...especially on my monitor, this image is too small to see! If you re-shoot, I would like to see this from several different angles and with different lighting to compare effects. I really like your ocean-themed subject matter--great idea!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2013
    Second try
    Here is another try at it. Slightly different take, will attempt to upload larger.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2013
    Upload question.
    I don't know what I am doing wrong. The original file of the most recent picture is 600 X 450 pixels, but the uploaded picture is only 255 X 191. Help!
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2013
    Norske, do you have a photo hosting website that you can store images on? Like either smugmug or photobucket? That would be a better way to share your photos. You can upload them to an album then share their direct links in your replies. That way if you upload a larger image, it will show up here in a bigger size.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2013
    "Once more dear friends unto the breach."
    http://genebjerke.smugmug.com/Test/i-FLXdj3t
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2013
    After third try
    Well, now you can see the picture a little bigger. Is there a way to transfer it to the thread (maybe even bigger)?

Norske
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2013
    unfortunately, the link you left says page not found. I did find your smugmug gallery, but as yet, have not found your shell image above, in any of the galleries. Make sure that the gallery your putting it in is not locked down. It needs to be an open gallery for the public to see. Also to post it here, means you need to click the share button, then go to "get a link". Next you click on the "embeddable links" tab and the "Large bbcode" click copy. Then simply paste it into a reply and it will show like this:
    Last%20haul-L.jpg

ps...you have your share link showing to the public.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2013
    Beach%20bling-L.jpg
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited December 14, 2013
    I agree that this is a lovely collection of seashore objects for your still life. Nice to see it larger here! Not sure whether you have time to play with it a bit more, but it would be great to see it from a few different angles as Kate mentioned.

Welcome to Dgrin!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2013
    Slightly different angle
    Don't know how much time I have left. Here is a variation.

Jewels%20from%20the%20sea-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2013
    You did it!
    Of the two images, I like the second arrangement best because it doesn't feel as cluttered as the first. However, the sand variant at the top of the image is distracting. Maybe cropping that out and having more of a long rectangled shot, like a 2:1 ratio. Just do not lose any of the side width.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited December 14, 2013
    JAG wrote: »
    You did it!
    Of the two images, I like the second arrangement best because it doesn't feel as cluttered as the first. However, the sand variant at the top of the image is distracting. Maybe cropping that out and having more of a long rectangled shot, like a 2:1 ratio. Just do not lose any of the side width.

I agree with JAG that I like this simpler arrangement and that cropping out the sand at the top might be enhance it further.