Options

Search engines

photitophotito Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited December 22, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hi all

I am wondering why my images on Smug mug don't appear on Google image search engine. I have had captions and keywords on every image now for a very long time. When i search for images in Google i find some of my images that have been in my wordpress blog or other images that have been published but not the once on smug mug. Any answers anyone?
http://www.photito.com/
Photito Travel - The world as we saw it

Comments

• Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    Do you have right-click "protection" on?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    Do you allow web search in your account settings (found from clicking your profile picture at the top right of the screen)? What's your domain name?
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2013
    Hi there

Yes mishenka i have right-click protection on, why?

yes Lamah i think i do allow web search and if i am not mistaken my domain name is photito.com
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    I believe it was officially indicated that the right-click "protection" prevents search engines from indexing the image. Sorry, I do not remember where that thread is that this issue was discussed :(
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    yes Lamah i think i do allow web search and if i am not mistaken my domain name is photito.com
    Assuming that your site is photito.com then it looks as though you are doing things well - nice keywords and captions. You also appear to have a blog on wordpress which links to your smugmug site - perfect

BUT - you don't have many images in google image search which is a little weird. Especially as you do seem to have a lot of entries in google web search.

There may be a bit of a clue from your blog. If you go to http://photito.wordpress.com/ then the most recent entries from June don't show any images even though if you copy the URL for the images and paste it into a new tab in a browser then you can see the images.

I would guess that having the right click protection is stopping your images showing on your wordpress site and also stopping google image search from getting any more than the thumbnails at the top of galleries or on your keyword pages. Although I believe that Google should still know where your images are if you have right click protection (RCP), and we know that is true as you appear to have many images listed in google web search, it does appear that Google image search prefers larger better quality images than just thumbnails and may not be picking up your images because of that. e.g. a google web search for 'An old stone Watch tower over looking Dingle Bay' has you near the top but you don't appear in image search at all - Google knows you are there but doesn't want to show your images.

The benefits of RCP are clear - they advertise to your viewers that you don't want them using your images without your permission

The downsides of RCP are that it may be blocking your images being found on Google image search in the first place :(

Given that RCP doesn't actually prevent people taking your images (especially as the largest size you have is X2-Large and there is no watermark) and you aren't selling the images you might want to reconsider whether or not you want to use RCP.

If I were you I would:

1. Do a baseline measurement. Go to images.google.com, type in site:www.phototio.com and press enter. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'Switch to basic version'. At the top of the page you should now see the number of images that google image search (GIS) has for you (is says 120 at the moment). I'm not sure if this number is completely accurate but it does seem to give a good indication if GIS loves you or not.

now you can make changes....

2. Put your site url in your signature on dgrin now. It is an important source of links! e.g. Photito Travel - The world as we saw it (note that you really want descriptive anchor text and URL if you can)
    3. Turn off RCP on your site.
    4. See if your images are now available on your wordpress blog. Hopefully they are. If they aren't then we need to work out why
    5. Check the number of images in GIS using step 1 every week or so. I found on a brand new site that images started appearing quite quickly but it took a month or two to get everything. BUT I was also pushing the site URL on a high traffic forum. If your only links are from your blog then it make take longer

If you want to protect your images then add watermarks as that is the only 'real' way to protect them. However as you aren't selling them and they are beautiful you may not want to. Maybe you just want to add a footer to each page with the same message as in your RCP message to discourage casual copying and link to how to contact you if they want permission to use an image. We've had a few people email us asking for permission to include images in publications even though we don't sell our images.

Try that and if you don't see the number of images starting to go up in a few weeks then it wasn't RCP causing the problem. However you do seem to be doing everything really well so it is a little surprising that you aren't doing better

Good luck

Rich
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,459 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    I must say that my Wordpress site is much, much better as far as image search engines then my SM site.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited December 10, 2013
    I must say that my Wordpress site is much, much better as far as image search engines then my SM site.
    I've had the same experience. My blogger site is also much better than my smug site for image search engines.

But - I recently turned right click protection off in smug and I'm now seeing image results from smug as well. It's taking a while to build, but it is better than before I removed right click protection (which doesn't protect anything anyway).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2013
    I've had the same experience. My blogger site is also much better than my smug site for image search engines.

But - I recently turned right click protection off in smug and I'm now seeing image results from smug as well. It's taking a while to build, but it is better than before I removed right click protection (which doesn't protect anything anyway).

--- Denise

I've never set RCP on.

According to my Webmaster Tools I have 608 images submitted and 10 are indexed for my SM site. My Wordpress site it shows 1030 images submitted and 375 indexed.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2013
    I've never set RCP on.

According to my Webmaster Tools I have 608 images submitted and 10 are indexed for my SM site. My Wordpress site it shows 1030 images submitted and 375 indexed.
    I just entered site:mike.imagesinthebackcountry.com in a google search, clicked images, scrolled to the bottom and switched to basic version. It shows that you have 167 results.

I wish I had done that on my site before I switched RCP off - but I know the google image search results for site:www.denisegoldberg.com are much better than they were when RCP was on just by looking at the number of non-thumb images shown on the results page. Running site:www.denisegoldberg.com shows that I currently have 399 results. I'm planning to check on a periodic basis to see how fast it improves.

Just to show how much better my blog is, running the same check on my blog shows 1130 results.

--- Denise
  • Options
    byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    These threads are always interesting as it seems we never receive a defined answer.

My blogger has about 400 images indexed, while my site only has about 100 or so. Funny thing is all the pics on my blogger are links from my site.
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2013
    I just entered site:mike.imagesinthebackcountry.com in a google search, clicked images, scrolled to the bottom and switched to basic version. It shows that you have 167 results.

I wish I had done that on my site before I switched RCP off - but I know the google image search results for site:www.denisegoldberg.com are much better than they were when RCP was on just by looking at the number of non-thumb images shown on the results page. Running site:www.denisegoldberg.com shows that I currently have 399 results. I'm planning to check on a periodic basis to see how fast it improves.

Just to show how much better my blog is, running the same check on my blog shows 1130 results.

--- Denise

I forgot about the "site:" feature. Interesting though. Most of my images from my Wordpress site are coming from my blog entries and NOT my "regular" site. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    According to my Webmaster Tools I have 608 images submitted and 10 are indexed for my SM site

I would suggest just ignoring the 'indexed' number in google webmaster tools for the images

For us we have
    Web submitted:5756
    Web indexed:422
    Images submitted:5416
    Images indexed:85

BUT.. we have way more than 85 images that show up using a 'site:' search in GIS (it says 4650 using the test above but I don't know if that is accurate either) so I have no faith that the 'images indexed' number shows us anything useful.

@ photito - if you do turn off RCP and record the number of images that show up can you report back here? It's always interesting to see what happens in real life tests. I did one for a brand new site here http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240372 to see how long it took for indexing to start. I haven't posted on that thread for a while but I can say that nearly all of the images on that site now appear in GIS
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2013
    Hi richpepp

I am afraid that most of what has been said above is alien to me. I will follow the instruction given by yourself as much as possible but as far as keeping a record of the images that show up i am afraid i dont have a clue how to do this. I am not even sure i understand what indexing means. When i enter mike.imagesinthebackcountry.com in google search all i get is his site. How does denisegoldberg get all the info?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2013
    photito wrote: »
    I am not even sure i understand what indexing means. When i enter mike.imagesinthebackcountry.com in google search all i get is his site. How does denisegoldberg get all the info?
    To see results like those I referenced you must enter site: before your URL.

In google search, enter [URL="http://site:www.photito.com"]site:www.photito.com[/URL]. You will likely be shown the results for your web site. Click images to see the results for your photos.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2013
    Hi Denise

I followed your instructions and found loads of my images on google/images. However i followed richpepp instructions and deactivated RCP but when i search google, say for example Murci tribe i still dont get any images even though i have mant Murci tribe images in SM. I do find one Murci tribe image in google/images which has been posted on wordpress. So if there are so many of my images in google when i search for www.photito.com why don't i find any when i search for a specific thing like say, desert, meditation, murci tribe etc.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2013
    photito wrote: »
    ...However i followed richpepp instructions and deactivated RCP but when i search google, say for example Murci tribe i still dont get any images even though i have mant Murci tribe images in SM. I do find one Murci tribe image in google/images which has been posted on wordpress. So if there are so many of my images in google when i search for www.photito.com why don't i find any when i search for a specific thing like say, desert, meditation, murci tribe etc.
    It takes a long time for the images to be indexed after you deactivate right click protection. Just turning it off doesn't give you immediate indexing.

--- Denise